Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mac|Life reports that bookstore chain Borders has mentioned an Apple "iPAD" as part of a new online survey targeting its customers. The relevant question asks customers if they are familiar with, have purchased, or are planning to purchase any of a number of "Digital Reading Devices", including Amazon's Kindle, Sony's Digital Reader, and Barnes and Noble's affiliated Plastic Logic Reader. Of most interest to Apple rumor followers, however, is an option asking customers whether they plan to purchase an "Apple iPAD (large screen reading device)" this year.

001733-borders_ipad_500.jpg

Apple's inclusion of e-books in its App Store and the natural fit of a tablet computer for such offerings have led to mixed views on whether Apple has plans to enter the e-book market on its own or continue to rely on third parties for such content. The possibility of third-party content providers being involved in e-book offerings for Apple's hardware opens the door to speculation that Borders could have inside knowledge of Apple's plans for a tablet computer.

Much more likely, however, is that market research staff have simply seized upon circulating rumors regarding Apple's tablet computer and included the device in the survey under a generic name as a result of the publicity surrounding the much-anticipated tablet and the recognition that such a device from Apple will very likely play a significant role in the e-book market upon its release. Readers will also note several errors in the survey options, including use of the term "iTouch" when referring to the iPod touch and the absence of the medial capital letter in the term "Blackberry". Such errors suggest that the survey's authors may not be particularly well-versed in the market they are addressing, casting further doubt on the "iPAD" claim.

Article Link: Borders Online Survey Cites Apple 'iPAD' Device

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
there is no way that they would call it iPad.
EDIT: it could be kinda a non finalized product name, until they settle on Macbook Touch.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Interesting find. I dunno how so many people spot the very things many of us gloss over day by day.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I can't imagine this to be giant rumored tablet to be a Kindle type product. But I could also care less if it is, I haven't seen the point of a Apple tablet yet anyways (like one that runs OS X).

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I can't imagine this to be giant rumored tablet to be a Kindle type product. But I could also care less if it is, I haven't seen the point of a Apple tablet yet anyways (like one that runs OS X).

That doesn't necessarily have to be the main purpose of it, but it would definitely be a killer feature that could sway many people that think the Kindle with it's e-paper screen is a no-go.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
While I think we can all agree that a Mac Tablet as well as a new iPod Touch are almost a certainty, I honestly think that is is simply a typographical error in that 'iPAD" may have indeed meant "iPod"

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
They didn't even call it iPad, as Apple might have named it. They called iPAD with three caps, which is not in keeping with Apple's naming style.

But... Apple might be interested in hearing the survey results!

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
I agree it's unlikely to be called iPad or iPAD, or whatever.. Probably speculation on their part.

I am getting flashbacks of the iPod and "Macbook" / "Macbook Pro" though. A hell of a lot of people were 100% certain Apple would never call a product those either!

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
You mean until they settle on "Newton". :D
I would love that, if it was a functionally superior advice anyway. Would be bad to use the Newton name on anything less groundbreaking than the original platform was in it's day.

That thing multitasks, had pcmcia (and can support wifi).. A true "osX but simplified" mini tablet would be comparable (and awesome). Much like some netbooks have that rejigged Ubuntu, I'd like the osX equivelent on such a device rather than the closed iPhone model, as that would seem a missed opportunity.

darijoe

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
They also call the iPod Touch the iTouch, so it may be meaningless.

*Sighs* Absolutely!! When will people stop calling it the iTouch??? :mad: Do people call the iPod nano an iNano?? I don't think so...

Someone is out of a job.

Hahaha!! Oooh what a huge leak by Borders! :eek: I quite like the name "iPad", personally, but I think it's just a code name - after all it's too close to "iPod."

You mean until they settle on "Newton". :D

Hahaha!!!

wavelayer

macrumors member
May 17, 2005
whatever it is, i want one.
as long as it runs "real" apps and osx.
if its just a big ipod, not interested.

RichardI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2007
Southern Ontario, Canada
I think it will either be called iPad as stated, or iBook.
But, I'm almost afraid to guess at the price :eek:. The way Apple prices its products I suppose $700 U.S. would be the price. Ewww. ;)

Rich :cool:

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
It should be called iWhined because that's what so many people have been doing over the damn tablet rumors. I am tired of them. Just release it or don't release it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.