Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taegre

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
Canada
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had the same issue. After updating to the latest version of Safari (4.0.3), I've been getting the beach ball on a regular basis.

It was not to bad the last few days, only pausing on flash intensive websites. But today it was beach balling when I try to scroll down a page. The page will freeze, the beach ball shows up, and then it jumps down the page. Its also slowed down considerably.

I was wondering if anyone had the same issue, and if anyone had a possible fix. I'm proficient on a mac, but nowhere near an expert, so I don't really know what to do.

If it continues tomorrow, I'm going to try to reinstall it.

Thanks for any and all help.

Nihar

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
try reset it
then reinstall it

There seems to be relatively more complaints with this 4.0.3 updates. Maybe apple didn't do a good job at testing before put it out.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
There are other great browsers on mac too, it doesn't hurt to try out, such as firefox 3.5 or opera 10 beta 3. Or camino 1.6, etc

Taegre

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
Canada
Thanks!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I've reset Safari, and the hanging issue hasn't re-appeared. It is still slower than usual though.

If the beach ball re-appears, I'm going to reinstall 4.0.2.

Thanks again,
Nihar

dirt farmer

Suspended
Feb 23, 2005
Do you have any plug-ins or add-ons? Those are the culprits most of the time. Try removing them one by one until you've got it pegged. They are in /Library/Internet Plug-ins, and ~/Library/Internet plug-ins.

Another option is to turn off "Warn when visiting a fraudulent website", found in Safari Preferences under Security. The Safe Browsing .db frequently can become corrupt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.