Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GiantsFan

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2004
san jose OR riverside, Cali
So theres the A, B, and G wireless. In one of the buildings on campus, someone told me there is B and G access. Does airport automatically choose B? or does it go for the faster one (G)? or is there a way i can choose G over B? i have a powerbook w/ airport extreme.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
GiantsFan,

Your Powerbook can be set to any network automatically or to specific networks. Either way you will be able to choose which network you join via the Airport Icon in the menu bar. If there is a password you will need that of course so you can gain access. Just find out the name of the g network and join that one..

Hope this helps,

aussie_geek

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
If the access points in question are running both B and G (which are compatible) and one person connects at B speeds then everyone is forced to B speeds, even if you have a G card. My question is that this is how its set up because you can support a wider range of users. Creating completely independant B and G networks seems like more effort than its worth.

As far as I know there isn't a setting to select a network based on the speed it operates at. You would need to know all the network specifics like the SSID, and the WEP/WPA password/key.

GiantsFan

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2004
san jose OR riverside, Cali
theres only 1 network name for the whole campus. so if i'm the first person to connect to the network in that B/G access area, will i be connected to B or G? theres also a building with A that no one but one person knows about.

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Depending on the access point (some of the higher end ones can do B and G simultaneously) if you are the only G user at the time, you will be at G speeds (54) but if a B user connects, it drops you down to B as well (11).

BEN

BaDBoY

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2003
California
... actually you will AUTOMATICALLY be connected to the wireless server with the higher end (G), ONLY IF you are the only person using the network, or if all the other users connected to the network are also connected using a (G) card. If someone were on the network using a (B) connection, EVERYONE is forced to connect with the (B) status, even if you have a (G) card, meaning youll be connected at 11 mpbs. The wireless card will automatically choose the settings; you dont have to.

im not sure how you can check, but try using teh airport client monitor. if it works, you can see the connection rates.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i just want to add that depending upon the connection, it might not even be a noticable difference in speeds between b or g because those are theoretical speeds that can be reached, but not many networks really get above the 11mbs that is supported by b, so in the long run it probably doesnt even matter if you are forced down to that speed, the only thing that will actually have a huge impact on you is how many users are on the network and how many are eating up the bandwith

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.