Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Aug 15, 2009, 09:40 PM   #1
Dobbs2
macrumors 6502

How to burn a zip file to a cd/dvd

I have a 20 inch aluminum imac. I am in college and my school is giving me a free download of Microsoft Office 08. The download is a zip file and I would like to make a back up copy incase I ever need to install it again or something happens to my hard drive. Is that possible? My school only gives me one download for this so hence the back up copy.

Thanks
Dobbs2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 10:09 PM   #2
OnYourKnees
macrumors 6502

Use a program like toast and just drag it in and burn.
OnYourKnees is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 11:16 PM   #3
Dobbs2
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnYourKnees View Post
Use a program like toast and just drag it in and burn.
Is it possible with the basic applications or programs on the imac. I've only had this about a week. I don't think I can convince the wife that I need some more money for a $100 program when I just bought this and enrolled in my last year of college.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 11:23 PM   #4
Cave Man
macrumors 604

Location: Neander Valley, Germany; just outside of Duesseldorf
Just create a new Burn folder on your desktop, drag and drop the zip file to that folder, then choose Burn and you're done.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 11:26 PM   #5
Dobbs2
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave Man View Post
Just create a new Burn folder on your desktop, drag and drop the zip file to that folder, then choose Burn and you're done.
Ok will do thank you. In windows I new how to do this. The mac is wonderful its just weird relearning stuff and then finding out how simple it was on the mac.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:56 AM   #6
Dobbs2
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Ok I made a new burn folder. I went to make a textedit file that had the product key on it to move to the burn folder. Unfortunately it only makes the file an alias and doesn't move it to the burn folder. It won't let me save the text edit directly to the burn folder. I'm sorry if this a dumb mistake I'm making, but I need help.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 04:10 AM   #7
Cave Man
macrumors 604

Location: Neander Valley, Germany; just outside of Duesseldorf
It's been a while since I've burned to optical media, but I seem to recall that it's only suppose to alias it. If you burn a disc, it simply uses the Burn folder as a reference to the original files. That way, once you burn, you can drag the Burn folder to the trash without losing your files (since they should still be in their original place). Try it with a CD-RW to make sure.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 04:38 PM   #8
Dobbs2
macrumors 6502

Quote:
It's been a while since I've burned to optical media, but I seem to recall that it's only suppose to alias it. If you burn a disc, it simply uses the Burn folder as a reference to the original files. That way, once you burn, you can drag the Burn folder to the trash without losing your files (since they should still be in their original place). Try it with a CD-RW to make sure.
Alright I found away around after playing with osx for awhile last night.

I made a new folder in my downloads section and dragged the text edit file to that folder (didn't say alias) and made a copy of the zip file to that folder. I then went to the file tab and clicked burn folder to dvd and it seems to have worked.

Its just weird that it wouldn't let me do those same steps to a "burn folder", but allowed it to a regular folder.

If i did that wrong well I'm new to osx
Old Aug 16, 2009, 05:48 PM   #9
Tumbleweed666
macrumors 68000

Try this (and I mean that, try it, no electrons will be harmed, or DVDs burnt, until the last action);

Make a new burn folder (finder, file >new burn folder)
Drag some stuff onto it, it ends up as shortcuts, but no worries.
Double click on the burn folder so it opens a new finder window entitled 'burn folder name' (eg whatever you called it).
At the top right hand of that window is a single button marked 'burn'

I leave you to guess what to do next :-)
Old Aug 16, 2009, 09:04 PM   #10
donuttakedonuts
macrumors regular

Quote:
You are correct, unless something is wrong with a drive.

Also, office will probably need a DVD.
donuttakedonuts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 12:46 AM   #11
ez4u2sa67
macrumors member

Send a message via MSN to ez4u2sa67 Send a message via Skype™ to ez4u2sa67
Burn Folder

The aliases are just a reference to the original file but when you burn the disc it will have the files on the disc that were just an alias in the burn folder. This is so that you can delete/modify the folder and nothing will change with the original files. Use a burn folder next time.
ez4u2sa67 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help