Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

090750-tomtom_1.png

090750-tomtom_2.png

iPhoneclub.nl reports [Google translation] that four regional versions of TomTom's much-anticipated iPhone GPS application have appeared in Apple's New Zealand App Store: U.S. & Canada, Western Europe, Australia, and New Zealand. Pricing is as follows (Users should set their iTunes Store to "New Zealand" prior to clicking the App Store links.):

- U.S. & Canada [App Store]: NZ $124.99 (US $84.41)
- Western Europe [App Store]: NZ $179.99 (US $121.55)
- Australia [App Store]: NZ $104.99 (US $70.90)
- New Zealand [App Store]: NZ $119.99 (US $81.03)

The App Store application prices obviously include only the iPhone application and not the companion car kit that will integrate a car mount, enhanced GPS receiver, built-in speaker, and power cables. The kit will also include an audio output jack, as well as a microphone to enable use of the iPhone as a Bluetooth speakerphone. A package supposedly containing both the hardware and software components appeared for pre-order early last month priced at £99 (US $163.39) plus taxes at UK retailer Handtec, although the legitimacy of the offer remains unclear.

It is unknown whether the applications' appearance on the New Zealand App Store is the first phase of a rollout to multiple countries or if the release was a premature addition.

Article Link: TomTom for iPhone Appears in New Zealand App Store

SydneyDev

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
It is unknown whether the applications' appearance on the New Zealand App Store is the first phase of a rollout to multiple countries or if the release was a premature addition.

They have the most "future" timezone of all the countries (it is already Monday AM there) so maybe it will appear elsewhere in the next few hours.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Why not post the proper tiered pricing instead of direct currency conversions?

Also, where do they get off charging more for New Zealand's maps than Australia's?

TheOrioles33

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2008
I cant wait to see the reviews on this. I have Sygic and its alright. If people have the same issues with TomTom then I will stick with what I have.

TheOrioles33

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2008
Given that you can buy an entire Tom Tom One for less than they're asking for just an iPhone app - forget it.

OUCH.

But hey, will this thread get longer than the Snow Leopard Packaging one? LOL!

Back to the pricing, i'd rather have a standalone unit for that price....

I see where you guys are coming from but I think the whole point for everyone, including myself, is to have an all-in-one device. I for one dont want to carry a GPS, iPod and a phone around. :)

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
I see where you guys are coming from but I think the whole point for everyone, including myself, is to have an all-in-one device. I for one dont want to carry a GPS, iPod and a phone around. :)

but the gps basically stays in your car, mounted to your windsheild, so it seems more convenient to me just to be able to have it there and not have to dock an extra devise.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
I don't carry my GPS around either. It stays in the damn car. And passengers can play with the iPhone/iPod Touch while the GPS does its job. Can I see a case for device integration? Sure. But if it costs MORE than the various component parts? Forget it.

What TomTom are saying here - is that the device you buy from them now, is worth exactly £0.

Kidman13

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006
Does anyone know if this will work without an internet connection? For example when your on vacation and don't want to be roaming?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Does anyone know if this will work without an internet connection? For example when your on vacation and don't want to be roaming?

That's the whole point. Turn-by-turn GPS apps MUST provide their own map tiles. If you have a 3G or 3GS it will work anywhere, regardless of whether you have mobile connectivity available or not.

A$99.99 (which is what it probably will be) is WAAAYY cheaper than a stand-alone unit.

fr00b

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2009
UK
Not yet.

It looks like it's a Monday release. It's Monday across the ditch but hasn't ticked over here yet. Keep an eye out.
I sure will. Anyone from New Zealand managed to download this and play around with it yet?

telefono

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
Not yet.

It looks like it's a Monday release. It's Monday across the ditch but hasn't ticked over here yet. Keep an eye out.

If its a Monday release we have only 7 min to go for the East Coast of Australia :D

Kidman13

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006
Lol. I was looking for a single UK & Ireland map version, not a European one. :rolleyes:

Oh I see. As a Dutchman I hope they also release it by individual country otherwise I'm stuck purchasing the most expensive option.

BriGuy20

macrumors member
May 24, 2009
It would have been nice to hear something from TomTom as to whether this is the real deal release or just a test. I'm leaning toward the latter since TomTom hasn't yet shown they have any clue what the $&#* they are doing with the iPhone GPS rollout.

Jawsome

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2009

Lol an all in one device. Right. This is designed to work with all this junk they listed.

car mount
enhanced GPS receiver
built-in speaker
power cables
an audio output jack, as well as a microphone

I'm hoping this is all in one piece. But still...just ANOTHER hunk of plastic you are carrying around. Me, I have a tomtom that stays in my car. Period. If I need maps outside of my car well...that's what the iphone can be great for.

Tom tom is competing, not collaborating.
Iphone + gps + google maps = possible death of tom tom. Apple doesn't care because you need THEIR phone to run the thing. Tom tom knows users would rather an iPhone than one of their unitasking bricks. (which I have and still use!) What happens when gps tracking on iphone becomes so good ANYONE can make a turn by turn gps app (which is damn close imo).

Poor tom tom, they had a good run. I'm sure a ton of people will waste their money on this app and say 'now I have one unit that does it all'. Sure.....great...but I don't have $100 lying around for an app that does nothing I can't do already.

If you don't have a tom tom...buy a used one cheap from someone switching to this rip-off app!!! Make the app 9.99 like it should be.

MacNemesis

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
but the gps basically stays in your car, mounted to your windsheild, so it seems more convenient to me just to be able to have it there and not have to dock an extra devise.

Those of us who live in the city will appreciate the fact that if you leave your GPS in your car, the odds of it still being there when you return are slim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.