Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bleebs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
Hi, I want to buy a 13" MacBook Pro, but I've noticed it only has 1 connection for audio. I'd planned to use the laptop for recording as well, but can I put a minijack mic in there without loss of quality? My iMac does what I want it to do when I use it to record, but has anyone had experience using the new 13" laptop as a recording device?

The apple site specs say:
13": Combined optical digital output/headphone out (user-selectable analog audio line in)

15": Combined optical digital audio input/audio line in (minijack)
Combined optical digital audio output/audio line out (minijack)

But that's not unambiguous enough before I buy the thing.

Bottomline: I don't care about not being able to have out and input at the same time, but I am concerned about the input quality.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I mean, if you are concerned about quality, you would be using an external sound card with 1/4 inch inputs and probably Phantom Power. What are you doing that concerns you?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
The input quality will be the same for any Stereo Mini-Jack Line-In. The 13" does not support optical through the Mini-Jack for Input, where as the 15"/17" do. This is simply due to not having a transceiver inside the jack, only a transmitter. For most applications, it will be adequate, otherwise, you would want to invest in a USB Digital Audio Input.

TEG

theschoning

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
london, uk
I'm currently looking into the same issue, how to use audio-in and out at the same time - does anyone know where to find a 'break-out' cable for this audio in/out port?

many thanks,

jonathan.

airplaneman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
USA
I'm currently looking into the same issue, how to use audio-in and out at the same time - does anyone know where to find a 'break-out' cable for this audio in/out port?

many thanks,

jonathan.

If you are talking about a splitter (the "break-out" cable), I doubt it would work for in/out at the same time. I think your best bet is an external sound card.;)

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005

many thanks,

jonathan.

Now I can't say for sure as I have not looked into it but I am 90% positive that is impossible. The contacts on in the same place for input and output. At best you could have mono in and mono out, but I am sure the laptop does not support that.

theschoning

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
london, uk
If you are talking about a splitter (the "break-out" cable), I doubt it would work for in/out at the same time. I think your best bet is an external sound card.;)

well, the port is designed to work with iPhone headphones (stereo headphones & mic at the same time), so why should it not work with a splitter/break-out cable? Just wondered if anyone has seen one offered...

cheers,

Jonathan.

justit

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
It's an analog jack, and isn't clean, too much machine noise. USB input is the only way to get get clean input.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
I'd go for the USB input, if input sound quality is your concern, like others stated. No direct connection option beats the external boxes (even the small form cheaper USB ones), for sound. On my white Macbook, with the 2 audio ports, I still went for the USB device because I wasn't satisfied with the line-in direct.

theschoning

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
london, uk
It's an analog jack, and isn't clean, too much machine noise. USB input is the only way to get get clean input.

thank you, I am aware of usb/firewire audio interfaces for 'proper' recording.

I'm looking for a way of utilising audio in/out with the macbook pro 13' audio jack simultaneously. the quality of audio (or lack of) is not my concern.

thanks,

j.

airplaneman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
USA
well, the port is designed to work with iPhone headphones (stereo headphones & mic at the same time), so why should it not work with a splitter/break-out cable? Just wondered if anyone has seen one offered...

cheers,

Jonathan.

If you are talking about a device that splits the audio into 2 channels, then, yes, it works (on my MBP at least)...:)

theschoning

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
london, uk
If you are talking about a device that splits the audio into 2 channels, then, yes, it works (on my MBP at least)...:)

2-channels - as in left & right? there is at least one more for the microphone in the jack.

look at the mini-jack of the iPhone headphones - this plug has 4 connectors (vs 3 for 'normal' stereo jack) and does mic & headphones simultaneously.

anyhow, I'll just 'make' a break-out cable myself now.... ;)

j.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.