Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LGShepherd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Teesside, United Kingdom
Hi Macrumors!

I have a late 2006 macbook and had the issue with the cracking case repaired today, however, Apple only repaired half of the issue. The 'top' half of the case was fixed (new keyboard, trackpad etc) was replaced and I am more than happy with it. The bottom half of the case (section with USB ports, bottom of the MacBook etc) still has cracks in it and clearly hasn't been replaced.

Is this something that should be replaced as a manufacturing fault as they have done with the keyboard, palm rest, trackpad etc?

Thanks
Liam

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Apple originally only covered the "top" case portion of the Plastic MacBooks out of warranty, but they decided more recently that the faults with the bottom case were also unacceptable.

Not as many Apple Store/Service Center employees are familiar with this though unfortunately.

LGShepherd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Teesside, United Kingdom
Thanks for your reply

I will give the Apple store in Manchester a call later and see what they say.

My concern is that I plan on selling this in the next couple of months and I want it to be spot on.

Thanks again

andyhargreaves

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2007
I notice you mentioned Manchester.

I have had both sections (Top Case and Bottom Case) replaced at the Trafford Centre under Applecare for exactly the same faults. Try there, they seem to be fairly reliable...

Andy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.