Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Aug 16, 2009, 06:32 PM   #1
MaCnation
macrumors newbie

power mac parts cross referance

So I have been using my dual 2.0 G5 for about two months now and absolutely love it. The learning curve has been so wondefully smooth and linear, I couldn't beleive that a computer this good, at five yeas old no less, could be this easy and competant to use! I think at this point that I would like to peice another g5 together. Trolling ebay I see a quite a few complete G5's available to be had, some still quite pricey. I think I should like to have a dual 2.7 machine but have reservations about the liquid cooling unit, which makes the concept of piecing one together that much more appealing. One could pick and choose parts as they became available, and use the updated cooling unit. The problem is I don't know the interchangeability of parts between the various G5's.

Which brings me to my question.
Does anyone know where I would go to find a parts or serial number cross referance to tell me what serial numbers will work with other serial numbers?
For instance: I am looking at a logic board on ebay right now. Offered for auction is a Logic Board for Apple Power Mac G5 Dual CPU, Apple P/N 630-4841. It lists 4 or 5 different cpu part numbers it can be used with but does not tell me anything else about the computer from which it came. Where would one go to find the information telling me what it came from and what parts numbers are required to be used with it?

Thanks for the help.
Anthony.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 07:34 PM   #2
California
macrumors 68040

I don't think you want to go there. Calibration is required between the logicboard and the CPUs AFAIK. Not very easy "putting together" a G5 tower from what I've heard. But sounds like you are enjoying the 2.0.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 07:43 PM   #3
MaCnation
macrumors newbie

I love the 2.0. It's the best rig i've ever had. My buddy's a die hard pc guy and a I.T. manager, and even he likes the way it works! I would still like to try peicing one together though.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 06:58 AM   #4
Toronto Mike
macrumors regular

I am truly astounded at how well my 2004 dual 2.0 performs every time that I put it in Photoshop.

I know that it might not be a fair comparison, but I handed out a few examples of slide scans to show a friend at what my inexpensive Epson V500 could do. He had just purchased a recent Windows laptop and tried to open one of these 160 mg scanned images (uncompressed tiff files). Honestly it took forever on his machine that on my G5 takes seconds. I think you are going to be happy with it for many years if you are happy with its power for your needs right now and can live with the fact that Apple will not be creating new software for the G5 in the future.

To make it even faster, check out this site:

http://macperformanceguide.com/index.html

I bought my G5 used last year and installed a total of 6GB ram and two new WD 640 internal hard drives. The speed increase was immediately noticeable.

Mike
Toronto Mike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 07:15 PM   #5
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

Wow and you're happy with only 1gb of memory? Try upgrading that to at least 2gb and you won't even be able to keep your pants on. Also dump that crappy 5200 graphics card too

The G5 cases do make for a very good PC enclosure .

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs