Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
Ok I'm an infrequent Mac user but I do have one at my place, just not very techy with it. At work I have OS 10.2 and want to update to Panther. Dumb qu - do I just bung in the CD and let it do something automatically or is there a formal process to go by to update the OS. And what do I do with teh applications/files already installed? There are two HDs, one in French and one in English, do I need to install the OS on both or just once is enough?
Sorry I am an inept Wins user who tries to keep her hand in on Macs too, but losing the PC battle it seems! (don't usually have to do this stuff but out techy is on holidays!!!)
Thanks for any suggestions...

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
To be honest, based on the way you word your questions, I feel that you should wait for your tech to get back from holiday and have him do it. It will be so easy that way!

Lee Tom

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
You buy Panther, put in the 1st CD, and follow the directions. It is about as foolproof as it gets.

However--as easy as it is, I see people messing it up all the time. I don't know how. Some people can mess anything up I guess. Just back up anything that's important first.

If you have 2 installations of 10.2 then you'd need 2 installations of 10.3. However I don't know why it's necessary to have English and French versions on different drives. You can change your language in System Preferences. You could have an English and French account on the same drive. That seems like an easier way to do it.

Amani

macrumors member
May 31, 2004
Sacramento, CA
You might also consider doing an internet search for a Mac User Group in your area. Most user groups are a great affordable way to learn to use the Mac. When you go to meetings, others can help you with the basic questions you have. Also, consider getting a copy of David Pogue's Mac OS X version 10.3 book. His is a best selling book that explaning almost everything Mac newbies need to know. There are other books out there that you might also consider.

reaper

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2004
19th Hole
LeeTom said:
To be honest, based on the way you word your questions, I feel that you should wait for your tech to get back from holiday and have him do it. It will be so easy that way!

Lee Tom

I'm with Lee Tom... I would wait for the tech to come back. If there's no real urgency to upgrade why take the chance?

- reaper

adi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
LeeTom said:

Lee Tom
Actually problem is that it is a bit urgent and everyone is looking at me as I'm the only person to know anything about Macs, but that doesn't mean that I know how to install an OS (well, I do on Windows but not on Mac).

adi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
Horrortaxi said:
You buy Panther, put in the 1st CD, and follow the directions. It is about as foolproof as it gets.

However--as easy as it is, I see people messing it up all the time. I don't know how. Some people can mess anything up I guess. Just back up anything that's important first.

If you have 2 installations of 10.2 then you'd need 2 installations of 10.3. However I don't know why it's necessary to have English and French versions on different drives. You can change your language in System Preferences. You could have an English and French account on the same drive. That seems like an easier way to do it.
I had expected it to work like this to tell you the truth!! I was not teh one who installed the double-system thing, I think someone at our place only discovered much later that you can just change the interface language(a definite plus over Win.) that's how I would have done it too! Well, I'll back up and see what happens. We don't do any vital stuff with it so the worst that can happen is that I need to do a re-install!! thanks a lot. By the way, think it's a bit snobby to imagine that a non-technical but experienced user is too dumb to update an OS. Sftware makers surely know that you're not going to take your machine back to the store each time you need an update, it has to be easy to do and there is always a first time for everything!

gone fishing

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2004
upgrading to panther OS X 10.3

adi said:
Actually problem is that it is a bit urgent and everyone is looking at me as I'm the only person to know anything about Macs, but that doesn't mean that I know how to install an OS (well, I do on Windows but not on Mac).
Well if you really need to do it...
1. If you can back up your files
2. you will need to do some maintenece.
.run disk utility>>>repair permissions
(are the computers onn 24/7 ?) if not the you will need to run some scripts( don't panic ) donwnload MacJanitor (do a search) it's free. and run the daily, weekly and monthly task. Then run repair permissions again.
3. select Disk utility from the Panther Install CD, verify and repair disk.
4. back to instalation, from there follow the instructions, make sure that you upgrade, don't erase and install, if you do you will lose all the files and programs installed.
5. when you are done, go back to disk utility and verify disk permissions, repair if necesary.
6. Open System Preferences and click on Software Update, upddate your software, run this untill it says that your software is upto date.
7. Disk Utility... repair permissions.
If all goes well you should be done.
but I would wait for the tech guy. you could lose a lot of data.
Jaguar should be just fine until the tech guy gets back... how come you need this upgrade so urgently?
:)

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
adi said:
By the way, think it's a bit snobby to imagine that a non-technical but experienced user is too dumb to update an OS. Sftware makers surely know that you're not going to take your machine back to the store each time you need an update, it has to be easy to do and there is always a first time for everything!
I wasn't trying to be snobby. My assumption is that it's so easy that anybody can do it. Time and again I see people having big problems and it always surprises me because it should be so easy.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Well considering the install is just text boxes asking some stuff and clicking next I wouldn't think it's too hard. I tell people that it has nothing to do with be a tech person. You just have to be able to read. Reading instructions and following them. And you don't even have to bust out a manual since it's all on screen. I used to reinstall Windows every month, and I can tell you the OSX install is way less technical that a Windows install. Hell, installing Windows deletes all your files. Only one install option on OSX deletes your files and that's Clean Install (which under it says something like "Deletes all your files and installs a clean OSX installation). Personally I like Archive and install because it installs over the System and Library folders and doesn't touch your User folder.

Only I don't suggest the upgrade option since people have had problems using that.

adi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
I DID IT!!

Thank you for all your helpful suggestions. In fact it was as easy as putting in the CD and following the instructions. I had to update both disks though, but it was fine. Why the upgrade? because now lots of applications only run under a certain version of OSX, like Dreamweaver 2004 or Adobe Creative Suite!! It's a real pain... and will probably need to do it again when "Tiger" comes out??? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.