Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bchan009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Hey everyone!

I'm running Windows 7 x64 RTM, but I had this problem back when I had Vista too.

Macdrive reads and writes to my Mac partition just fine, but for some reason I can't run .exe files that are stored there. Windows gives me some crap about 'windows cannot access *file path here*'.

Back when I used XP this wasn't a problem, but for some reason Vista and 7 don't want to run .exe's on my mac partition...

For now I've been forced to copy the .exe's from their storage on my Mac drive and paste them to my Windows partition before being able to run them. =/

malo09

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2009
SAME problem here! i've macdrive 8.0.3 installed on win 7!

though for some reasons some .exe files on the Mac Partition CAN be run. I suppose that are those .exe files created within OSX. Files downloaded from the web in Win definately can not be executed.

Help appreciated!

Manksgloob

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2009
I contacted Mediafour about this problem.

This was their response:
Unfortunately, this is a limitation of using Windows Vista or Windows 7. Any executables that require elevated permissions cannot be run from a Mac disk.

AZBESZT

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2010
Uac

Hey everyone!

I'm running Windows 7 x64 RTM, but I had this problem back when I had Vista too.

Macdrive reads and writes to my Mac partition just fine, but for some reason I can't run .exe files that are stored there. Windows gives me some crap about 'windows cannot access *file path here*'.

Back when I used XP this wasn't a problem, but for some reason Vista and 7 don't want to run .exe's on my mac partition...

For now I've been forced to copy the .exe's from their storage on my Mac drive and paste them to my Windows partition before being able to run them. =/

had the same problem, win7 couldn't run some of the .exe files on my mac hdd (others, though, still worked), and had to copy things to ntfs hdd's, but it seems, turning off UAC solved this problem.

IA64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
It's not an issue with MacDrive... It's been the case since years.

Neither Paragon nor Macdrive can execute .exe directly.

sammy.d

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
@rotoyouoio that's fixed it for me! Is anyone able to explain why this works? Just curious... I don't see how accessing the folder through a symlink makes it work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.