Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Aug 19, 2009, 04:44 PM   #1
ardpbub
macrumors newbie

Powerbook G4 Making Noise - Can I Swap the HDD?

Hi all,

I am in need of your expertise yet again.

Awhile ago I noticed my Powerbook G4 was making an odd buzzing noise. I figured it was the hard drive on the way out so I immediately ordered another one but the noise stopped and didn't start back up so I never swapped it out. (this was about a year and a half ago)

Yesterday I was compressing a large movie in Final Cut and it started making the noise again. I'm guessing the hard drive is indeed going and my question is this:

Is there any way to make an exact duplicate of my current drive on my new drive and then swap them out? I wouldn't mind starting from scratch but I have some applications and things installed which I have since lost the disk for and password/serial information and I don't want to have to purchase new versions of the software.

Any suggestions or links to guides for this sort of thing would be most appreciated.

Thanks!!!
ardpbub is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs