Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Aug 19, 2009, 07:01 PM   #1
jleffell
macrumors member

Post 14 Day Exchange for Refurb MBA rev A

Sorry to those of you who may have already seen me asking a similar question inside other threads but I wanted to open in up.

I purchased a Refurbished MBA around May 28 (just over a week before the latest refresh).

I only started reading this site the day of WWDC and was thus unaware of a possible update to delay my purchase. I bought the 1.8 Rev A HDD and I am disappointing in the speed of applications and the common shuttering issues (I know about Coolbook but I think it's ridiculous that Apple doesn't offer a solution).

I was unaware of the 14-day exchange period (admittedly my fault) but I have now seen Rev B's in the refurbished section with the new graphics card/128 SSD that I would much rather have for the additional $250. I would even be willing to pay the restocking fee to get this machine.

Have people had successful post 14-day refurb returns? The last bit is that my girlfriend will be purchasing a new 2.13 MBA Rev C so I thought I would try and get that salesperson to help but she is waiting for SL and I want to resolve this as soon as possible.

Any advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
jleffell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 07:05 PM   #2
aethelbert
macrumors 601

There's quite a difference between two weeks plus one day out and three months out.
aethelbert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 07:16 PM   #3
jleffell
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akonradi View Post
There's quite a difference between two weeks plus one day out and three months out.
I am aware of this which is why I am asking.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 07:45 PM   #4
mdgolom
macrumors 6502

I think you're pretty much out of luck. You would need to sell the Rev A then purchase the new one.

Then again, it doesn't cost anything to call Apple and ask.
mdgolom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 07:57 PM   #5
jamesryanbell
macrumors 68020

I think too much time has passed. Still doesn't hurt to ask though. When my friend did that very thing and it'd been 2 1/2 weeks, they didn't do it for him. They told him "14 days" over and over again.
jamesryanbell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 06:51 PM   #6
coolbreeze
macrumors 65816

There's basically no way they will take it back. Sell it, take the hit when you buy the one you want, and learn the lesson.

Note 3, iPhone 5, iPad 4 LTE, 15" rMBP, 13" rMBP, 13" Air.

coolbreeze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 06:56 PM   #7
Scottsdale
macrumors 601

You bought an absolute PILE OF CRAP! I would complain and tell them of all of the problems over the phone. Tell them you have read that the rev B/C MBAs do not have all those problems... you may even get a free upgrade. I have read MANY threads where people got free upgrades from their original MBAs to rev B models.

The original had just about the worst component makeup ever in Apple's history of building Macs. Bottom line, the original MBA doesn't do what people expect of a Mac.

If you cannot get an upgrade, buy CoolBook as it has saved many of buyers experiences and lead to great results.
Scottsdale is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 07:00 PM   #8
jleffell
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottsdale View Post
You bought an absolute PILE OF CRAP! I would complain and tell them of all of the problems over the phone. Tell them you have read that the rev B/C MBAs do not have all those problems... you may even get a free upgrade. I have read MANY threads where people got free upgrades from their original MBAs to rev B models.

The original had just about the worst component makeup ever in Apple's history of building Macs. Bottom line, the original MBA doesn't do what people expect of a Mac.

If you cannot get an upgrade, buy CoolBook as it has saved many of buyers experiences and lead to great results.
Can you point me to someone who has gotten a free upgrade. I have spoken with several Apple people in customer service/sales and no one will do anything. I even said I was willing to pay for the upgrade but you have really heard about people getting free upgrades from A to B????

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air