Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesapp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
I am trying to get a screen reader working on a MacBook pro laptop running 10.5.8. I bought a USB-2920 USB to serial adaptor and installed an ftdi driver, they make the chipsets in the USB adaptor. I looked in /dev and found

tty.usbserial-FTKVMAFF

there is also

ttys0

My question has to do with the name of the serial port in leopard. I couldn't get my doubletalk speech synthesizer working. I looked in my screen readers configuration file and there is a line which says

synthesizer port=s0

I think this is where my problem is. I looked in /dev and couldn't find s0, I did find ttys0 and I also found tty.usbserial-FTKVMAFF my question is, will editing the screen reader configuration file get my speech synthesizer to work? Also what would be the name of the serial port? TTY.usbserial-FTKVMAFF? Or ttys0?any help would be appreciated.

idelovski

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
Well, your problem may be that OS took the port for itself because it seems Leopard works this way. Go to System Preferences -> Network and see there if the serial port is present there and what is its status.

I posted somewhat related question here just a moment before you did (and so far there are no suggestions).

Tiger had it by default turned off it seems, but in Leopard you must do it yourself.

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
If you are using the port for serial comms you should probably be using the callout port, not the tty port. The name will be "/dev/cu.usbserial-FTKVMAFF" or just "cu.usbserial-FTKVMAFF". If the software is appending anything the port name after the fact it will probably not work properly. Can you give us the name of the software?

idelovski

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
If you are using the port for serial comms you should probably be using the callback port...

Do you mean callout?

Code:
// Properties that resolve to a /dev device node to open for
// a particular service
#define kIOTTYDeviceKey			"IOTTYDevice"
#define kIOTTYBaseNameKey		"IOTTYBaseName"
#define kIOTTYSuffixKey			"IOTTYSuffix"

#define kIOCalloutDeviceKey		"IOCalloutDevice"
#define kIODialinDeviceKey		"IODialinDevice"

This is taken from IOSerialKeys.h

idelovski

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
Well, thanks.

I just did IOIteratorNext() with everything else that goes with it and found out that my "/dev/tty.usbserial0" has this counterpart named "/dev/cu.usbserial0" so I'll try using it.

I don't want to hijack this thread, so can you please, please look at my question just a few lines below this one?

jamesapp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
The name of the screen reader I am using is called yasr (yet another screen reader). I am away from my computer, but from what I remember, I don't have cu.usbserial-xxx in /dev on my computer. I thought I could just edit the configuration file for yasr with things I do have in my /dev directory, but I don't know? I do know that after I installed the ftdi driver for mac from the ftdi site, and plugged in my USB to serial adaptor there was an object (I think that is what you call it) in /dev, tty.usbserial-FTKVMAFF that I didn't have before, and I don't know if this is the designation of my serial port?

jamesapp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
Just checked /dev on my laptop there is an object cu.usbserial-FTKVMAFF is this what I would want to use in the yasr configuration file?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.