Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBradley500

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
Recently i havent been able to shut my computer down and i searched but a lot of it was old info. Im guessing its some program not shutting down. When i click shut down everything closes but the wallpaper stays and the icon stays but it just idles.

this is very irritating because the computer is like 3 weeks old and i hate hate hate pushing the power button and usually id just put it to sleep but it is storm weather time of year so i like to shut it down and unplug it.

any help will be appreciated greaty

NYR99

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Have you considered just buying a decent surge protector? I would wanna kill my self if I had to unplug my iMac after every use.

QwertyPants

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2009
NYC
Repair Permissons?

you could try looking at the Activity Monitor (just search spotlight for Activity Monitor) and making sure all the programs you had been using during that session closed properly. Try using a free utility called MainMenu to clean up your cache and some junk files, it also repairs permissions and what not, it's similar to CCleaner for windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.