Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Aug 21, 2009, 02:25 PM   #1
Hatchet
macrumors regular

Color accuracy different for glossy vs matte?

I am in the process of deciding which macbook pro to get for my new job. I am in the web design business and wanted to know if the glossy vs matte has any difference in color accuracy/difference in calibration.

Thanks!
Old Aug 21, 2009, 02:28 PM   #2
jackiecanev2
macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

Glossy had a tendency to be super-saturated. Calibration will help, but matte is generally regarded as better for color accuracy.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 03:18 PM   #3
emcham
macrumors member

it is the same LCD panel on either model, but the glass does interfere slightly with color accuracy i have heard.
emcham is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2009, 03:38 PM   #4
Brandon Heat
macrumors regular

just calibrate the monitor... and supersaturated is a bit strong of a word... i think the deeper blacks makes the colors have more tonal range and in effect seems to be more saturated... but i stared at the 15 matte... i dont think theres color differences at all... only in the blacks was there a difference slight possibly nonexistant difference...
Old Aug 21, 2009, 05:00 PM   #5
gothamm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcham View Post
it is the same LCD panel on either model, but the glass does interfere slightly with color accuracy i have heard.
has this been established with certainty?
gothamm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2009, 07:52 PM   #6
bcaslis
macrumors 68000

These are all urban myths. It's been shown by photographers who actually bother to calibrate the screens that glossy and matte are both about the same level of color accuracy. Here's one article on calibrating the screens:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...=7-10041-10146
Old Aug 21, 2009, 08:18 PM   #7
emcham
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothamm View Post
Yes. It is in the article linked above.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 11:31 PM   #8
bcaslis
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcham View Post
Yes. It is in the article linked above.
What's been established? The article notes the glossy reflection issue, but notes no color accuracy difference between glossy and matte.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 11:47 PM   #9
emcham
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
What's been established? The article notes the glossy reflection issue, but notes no color accuracy difference between glossy and matte.
that was in reference to the LCD panels in the matte & glossy models being the same.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 02:08 PM   #10
Kronie
macrumors 6502a

I have a 17 glossy UMBP and a 22" IPS Matte monitor.

After calibrating both with huey pro they look exactly the same, colors, blacks, saturation, the same.......except one has reflections.
Kronie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 02:50 PM   #11
EndlessMac
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronie View Post
After calibrating both with huey pro they look exactly the same, colors, blacks, saturation, the same.......except one has reflections.
That's really the issue isn't it? People are relying on their opinions based on the default out of the box colors. Judgments based on color needs to be made from computers that have been calibrated the same. Very few people actually calibrate their monitors so of course they are going to look different.

I think the problem is also because there are no set standard for colors out of the box. If there was then every manufacture will calibrated their monitors to match that standard before leaving the factory. I believe Apple uses the same color setting for both glossy and matte to make it easier for them but you can't use the same settings because one needs to compensate for the other in order to make them display the same colors.

One analogy that can be used is with two people with different eye glass prescriptions. We all know that 20/20 vision is what is consider correct but these two people will require two different eye glasses in order to see 20/20. Calibrating a monitor would be the equivalent of the eye glasses in order to see things the same. Basically one would require a stronger prescription than the other or one monitor will need more saturation boost in order to display the colors the same, etc, etc.

Last edited by EndlessMac; Aug 23, 2009 at 02:58 PM.
EndlessMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 05:20 PM   #12
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothamm View Post
Apple either puts 'glass' (it's not really glass, but whatever) on top, or it puts the matte plastic screen with aluminium bezel around it. The actual LCD panel used in the glossy and matte MBPs are the same. Why would they be different? It doesn't make any sense, and it would cost Apple more money, and be more trouble in terms of manufacturing, and keeping displays in stock.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro