Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
Anyone else think that offering two platforms of Quicktime Pro product keys are stealing?

They refused to transfer my keycode from windows to mac, how can it be platform specific? Its a flippin license key.

Before you say "It says on their site its platform specific" surely we shouldn't be forced to shell out another £20 just to change what platform we can use the product key on, when we've already legally paid for a license for the software.

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
Anyone else think that offering two platforms of Quicktime Pro product keys are stealing?

They refused to transfer my keycode from windows to mac, how can it be platform specific? Its a flippin license key.

Cuz it's a license key to different software?

I've heard of people who could supposedly get Apple to switch it, but I suppose they'd have to have some way of deactivating the Windows QTP first, otherwise you're just getting 2 QTPs for the price of 1.

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
But it's not different software, it's Quicktime Pro, just on a different platform. It's not like Windows 7, Mac version isn't superior to windows or vice versa.

But in a way it is different. QTP for Windows and QTP for OS X. They're used in two different OSes, even though a license key only covers one installation. So how could a license key cover both?

I'm not taking their side either, I'm just trying to get their point of view. It seems like if they did, in fact, have some way of disabling the Windows version, I could see the argument for the Mac version using the same license key.

But ultimately, although I think it would be nice of them to do, calling not doing it stealing is a stretch. Would you expect MS to let you run Office on OS X with no additional cost if you bought it for Windows?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.