Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Aug 22, 2009, 06:25 AM   #1
yetanotherdave
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to yetanotherdave Send a message via MSN to yetanotherdave Send a message via Yahoo to yetanotherdave
Booting a G4 mini off a xbox HD-DVD drive?

I have a G4 mini with Tiger on it. I now have a spare license for leopard so want to upgrade it.
The internal DVD drive appears to be hosed, it spits out the leopard disc and any other DVD/disc I put in there.
Purely out of chance I decided to plug the HD-DVD drive from my xbox into the mini, and to be honest, I was surprised when the leopard disc appeared in the finder, no fiddling, no drivers, no downloads. It just worked
until I tried to boot off it, it appears to be non boot-able, despite being recognised by the OS.
So, how can I get leopard on this mini? Things I have at my disposal that may be useful

1 alu MBP, firewire 800 port
1 whitebook, fw 400 port
external hd-dvd drive
fw 400 cable
80gb fw 400/usb external hdd.

what are my options? can i boot off the dvd over the network from another mac like the air presumably has to? make a bootable image on the fw drive? target disc mode with the disc in on the whitebook?
Old Aug 22, 2009, 06:38 AM   #2
Hellhammer

Send a message via MSN to Hellhammer
I would get a external hard drive enclosure (about 20$ from Newegg) and hook your iMac's HD to one of your Macs and install Leopard on that drive.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 11:47 AM   #3
old-wiz
macrumors 604

g4 can only boot from firewire.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs