Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Aug 22, 2009, 08:55 AM   #1
rburly
macrumors 6502a

How to reset Settings from Japanese To English

I downloaded an app that enabled emoji, but I was asked to set the International setting to "Japanese" from English. How do I reset it back to "English"? I can't read Japanese, so even using another iPhone to try to get the settings back doesn't work because the General -> Settings info is setup differently. Any info would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
rburly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 09:05 AM   #2
PhightinPhils26
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburly View Post
I downloaded an app that enabled emoji, but I was asked to set the International setting to "Japanese" from English. How do I reset it back to "English"? I can't read Japanese, so even using another iPhone to try to get the settings back doesn't work because the General -> Settings info is setup differently. Any info would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I attached 4 images that should help you.

Settings>General>Keyboard>International Keyboards>Japanese (The only one without on off) That should get you to the Emoji keyboard to turn on.

What you did wrong is go to International (under keyboard) > Language (First Option)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.PNG
Views:	64
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	189652   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.PNG
Views:	54
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	189653   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.PNG
Views:	35
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	189654  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.PNG
Views:	47
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	189655  
Old Aug 22, 2009, 09:06 AM   #3
DenniZ
macrumors 6502a

Should be literally the same format. So go to settings, 3rd section down ,first one. Then Fourth Section down, fourth one. First one.

To enable Emoji, you only need to enable the Japanese keyboard. Not the full complete language switchover.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 09:30 AM   #4
rburly
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhightinPhils26 View Post
I attached 4 images that should help you.

Settings>General>Keyboard>International Keyboards>Japanese (The only one without on off) That should get you to the Emoji keyboard to turn on.

What you did wrong is go to International (under keyboard) > Language (First Option)
Thanks for the info and the screenshots. My problem is as described by you and DenniZ. I changed the language setting. Now I'm stuck with everything in Japanese. The layout of the Japanese Settings -> General is different. I used a 3G iPhone to try to get the language back, but the layout is different.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 09:35 AM   #5
rburly
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenniZ View Post
Should be literally the same format. So go to settings, 3rd section down ,first one. Then Fourth Section down, fourth one. First one.

To enable Emoji, you only need to enable the Japanese keyboard. Not the full complete language switchover.
I appreciate the help, but, as mentioned above (believe me, I used your 3rd section, etc.) the layout is different.

When I went to Settings, 3rd section (good), first one, there's only one section, numbered 1-5 with a line just under the fifth one.

Thanks so far! I'll post screenshots of what I have.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 10:13 AM   #6
rburly
macrumors 6502a

I tried emailing the pics but they didn't come through. I thinks it's my lack of ability to speak Japanese.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 12:26 PM   #7
rburly
macrumors 6502a

I went to Apple Forums and got this answer which solved the problem. There was only one thing I had to change, but it got me back to English language:

Go to Settings -> General -> International (the 12th choice) -> Language (the 1st choice) -> English (the 1st choice).

So, for future reference. And again, there's once more step to getting back to "normal", but it works.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 01:42 PM   #8
PhightinPhils26
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburly View Post
I went to Apple Forums and got this answer which solved the problem. There was only one thing I had to change, but it got me back to English language:

Go to Settings -> General -> International (the 12th choice) -> Language (the 1st choice) -> English (the 1st choice).

So, for future reference. And again, there's once more step to getting back to "normal", but it works.
Excellent... I didn't get around to Apple Forums, I had errands to run... Good find!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting