Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rburly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
Florida
I downloaded an app that enabled emoji, but I was asked to set the International setting to "Japanese" from English. How do I reset it back to "English"? I can't read Japanese, so even using another iPhone to try to get the settings back doesn't work because the General -> Settings info is setup differently. Any info would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

PhightinPhils26

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2007
Philly
I downloaded an app that enabled emoji, but I was asked to set the International setting to "Japanese" from English. How do I reset it back to "English"? I can't read Japanese, so even using another iPhone to try to get the settings back doesn't work because the General -> Settings info is setup differently. Any info would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I attached 4 images that should help you.

Settings>General>Keyboard>International Keyboards>Japanese (The only one without on off) That should get you to the Emoji keyboard to turn on.

What you did wrong is go to International (under keyboard) > Language (First Option)

Attachments

• IMG_0001.PNG
    IMG_0001.PNG
    44.3 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_0002.PNG
    IMG_0002.PNG
    30.6 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_0003.PNG
    IMG_0003.PNG
    44.3 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_0004.PNG
    IMG_0004.PNG
    38.4 KB · Views: 191

DenniZ

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Liverpool, UK
Should be literally the same format. So go to settings, 3rd section down ,first one. Then Fourth Section down, fourth one. First one.

To enable Emoji, you only need to enable the Japanese keyboard. Not the full complete language switchover.

rburly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
Florida
I attached 4 images that should help you.

Settings>General>Keyboard>International Keyboards>Japanese (The only one without on off) That should get you to the Emoji keyboard to turn on.

What you did wrong is go to International (under keyboard) > Language (First Option)

Thanks for the info and the screenshots. My problem is as described by you and DenniZ. I changed the language setting. Now I'm stuck with everything in Japanese. The layout of the Japanese Settings -> General is different. I used a 3G iPhone to try to get the language back, but the layout is different.

rburly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
Florida
Should be literally the same format. So go to settings, 3rd section down ,first one. Then Fourth Section down, fourth one. First one.

To enable Emoji, you only need to enable the Japanese keyboard. Not the full complete language switchover.

I appreciate the help, but, as mentioned above (believe me, I used your 3rd section, etc.) the layout is different.

When I went to Settings, 3rd section (good), first one, there's only one section, numbered 1-5 with a line just under the fifth one.

Thanks so far! I'll post screenshots of what I have.

rburly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
Florida
I tried emailing the pics but they didn't come through. I thinks it's my lack of ability to speak Japanese.

rburly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2009
Florida
I went to Apple Forums and got this answer which solved the problem. There was only one thing I had to change, but it got me back to English language:

Go to Settings -> General -> International (the 12th choice) -> Language (the 1st choice) -> English (the 1st choice).

So, for future reference. And again, there's once more step to getting back to "normal", but it works.

PhightinPhils26

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2007
Philly
I went to Apple Forums and got this answer which solved the problem. There was only one thing I had to change, but it got me back to English language:

Go to Settings -> General -> International (the 12th choice) -> Language (the 1st choice) -> English (the 1st choice).

So, for future reference. And again, there's once more step to getting back to "normal", but it works.

Excellent... I didn't get around to Apple Forums, I had errands to run... Good find!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.