Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Aug 23, 2009, 12:09 AM   #1
Resist
macrumors 68030

One iTunes Account, Two Computers

I have iTunes on my desktop PC that has all my music and apps. I recently got a Laptop and installed iTunes. I purchased an App for my iPhone on the Laptop but can't sync it to the iPhone because doing so will erase all the data on it. I know there is a way to have several computers using one iTunes account for my iPhone but can't figure it out. I have searched and searched but nothing. Anyone here know how to do it?
Resist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 12:12 AM   #2
iBookG4user
macrumors 604

Send a message via MSN to iBookG4user
I've never tried this for apps, but for music and videos you could check the "manually manage music and videos" and then try to drag the app to the iPhone icon.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 12:18 AM   #3
Resist
macrumors 68030

I tried the manual sync option but then it tells me my iPhone can only be sync'd with one iTunes library at a time. I don't want to lose anything that is already on my iPhone, I just want to add music, video and apps to it via iTunes on a different authorized computer.

Last edited by Resist; Aug 23, 2009 at 12:40 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 12:49 AM   #4
steve knight
macrumors 65816

if both computers are using the same itunes account you can copy the app from one computer to the other and it should work. then just do your normal sync and it should work.
steve knight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 01:16 AM   #5
Resist
macrumors 68030

Both computers are using the same iTunes account but again doing a sync from the computer that doesn't have all my music and says it will delete the music on my iPhone with the sync. You can only have one iTunes library it seems, so both computers have to have the same music, video and apps if I don't want to it deleted from the iPhone.

I found this and am trying it now, so far it seems to be working:

"When you connect you device in there will be an icon with the name of the device. Click the little arow facing to the right, right click on the music pannel and select tranfer purchases and when the window opens enter you password as normal and then another window should open saying "songs are not authorized" and press Authorize"

So basically both computers will have the same iTunes data on them for the sync's. Kinda of a shame you can't just add music, video or apps without having to take up so much hard drive space on another computer.

Update:

Not all my music, videos or ringtones were transferred. So it seems this is only a limited fix.

Last edited by Resist; Aug 23, 2009 at 01:34 AM.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store