Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Aug 23, 2009, 04:53 PM   #1
qveda
macrumors regular

Need help importing mp3 into Garage Band

First time user, trying to import spoken word mp3s that are on my desktop into Garage Band so I can edit them. Thought this would be simple, must be missing something. I drag into the track or space, I see an 'importing' message for an instant , but nothing appears in the audio track. and/or no new track is created.

These mp3 tracks are 44.1 , and play fine in iTunes. Can't figure out why they won't import.

help, please.
qveda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 05:09 PM   #2
Luap
macrumors 65816

It should work, but to be blunt trying to edit Mp3's is asking for problems, for a number of reasons. I would recommend converting them to wav or aiff or similar first. Uncompressed files are much better for apps like GarageBand to work with.
Or, you might consider an app like Fission, which claims to be able to edit MP3's with no further quality loss http://rogueamoeba.com/fission/
Luap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 05:47 PM   #3
qveda
macrumors regular

Ah! OK. I'll try converting the mp3's first. But still, can't understand why they won't import. I've tried this several times in the past and given up. I'd really like to find out how to do this.

in the meantime, I'll find a way to convert the files and import them into Garage Band .
qveda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:16 AM   #4
Fishrrman
macrumors 601

RE: importing mp3 files into GarageBand

RE:
"in the meantime, I'll find a way to convert the files and import them into Garage Band"

It's easy.

1. Have the mp3 file you wish to import on your desktop.

2. Launch GarageBand. Create a new (as-yet-empty) project.

3. If the new project is created with the default "grand piano" track, delete it from the project so that the timeline window is empty.

4. Go to the Track menu and choose "New Basic Track"

5. Reach down, "grab" your mp3 file with the mouse, and drag it and drop it over the beginning of the new track.

6. GB will convert and import the mp3 file.

7. Edit as necessary.

If you do this, and the file _still_ won't import, my guess is that there's something wrong with the mp3 file that you're trying to import - and that it's NOT a problem with GB.

- John
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:31 AM   #5
salientstimulus
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luap View Post
It should work, but to be blunt trying to edit Mp3's is asking for problems, for a number of reasons. I would recommend converting them to wav or aiff or similar first. Uncompressed files are much better for apps like GarageBand to work with.
Or, you might consider an app like Fission, which claims to be able to edit MP3's with no further quality loss http://rogueamoeba.com/fission/
N.B. - Technically, GarageBand (or Logic, or anything else I know of) don't work with mp3s -- they immediately convert any compressed format to an uncompressed format as soon as you import it. Mp3 decoding would be a very inefficient thing to do real-time on the fly, given that you're also running digital effects, soft synths, recording, etc.
salientstimulus is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio