Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maclover7777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
I had an ibook g4 12" 1.2 computer and it had a 60GB hard drive in it. It worked just find and always has. My screen broke and the trackpad plug broke on my board so I decided to break it down and sell parts and buy a new one.

I kept the hard drive and I have a couple other computers so I decided to put the hard drive into another computer and it did not power up or anything and I got the question mark.

I tried it on my sons computer even and same thing. I tried it with different ribbons and one computer had the more direct connection and I tried that.

So.. What the heck??
AM I missing something? How can I figure out what is up? I mean it only sat in a box for two weeks.. Nothing happened to it and it was not jumbled around or anything. ....

????

ANy ideas for me???

THANKS

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Won't work on the newer Macs, since it is a PPC install.

For some of the newer installs, it might not even have an up-to-date file system ... aka, journaled or a GUID partition. The ibook G4 should be journaled, but it won't boot on any Intel system with the older file system.

Sticking the drive in a USB enclosure tends to be the safest method, getting around the driver issues some older install on old drives may have with other machines.

A USB enclosure will make it read/write on any machine.

maclover7777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
Hi THanks
But

The other computers I tried were also Power PCs and one was a 14" 1.33mhz and the other a 12" 1.33 so .. it should have worked right???

Just trying to get my stuff off there. and It was working so perfectly I did not think there would be an issue..

Yep. Only 60

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Hi THanks
But

The other computers I tried were also Power PCs and one was a 14" 1.33mhz and the other a 12" 1.33 so .. it should have worked right???

Just trying to get my stuff off there. and It was working so perfectly I did not think there would be an issue..

Yep. Only 60
ARe you sure we are not talking about 60 gb?
you cant store much on 60mb.

Thiol

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
Hi THanks
But

Yep. Only 60

You can't just put the drive into other computers. System folders sometimes have machine specific drivers. For example, if I try to put a MBP hard drive into a MB, the thing won't even boot. Others have had trouble with ports, etc. Your best bet at getting your data back is to put the drive into an external enclosure. Good luck.

maclover7777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
Oh Dear is that so? I mean I thought a hard drive is a hard drive. Really Honest.. ANd if it is formatted for the same system software and using the family of computer.. gosh dang.

I will get an enclosure and try it out.
But shouldnt it get power at least and try?

THanks for your time

Thiol

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
Oh Dear is that so? I mean I thought a hard drive is a hard drive. Really Honest.. ANd if it is formatted for the same system software and using the family of computer.. gosh dang.

I will get an enclosure and try it out.
But shouldnt it get power at least and try?

THanks for your time

You could spend more time trying to get this approach to work, but I bet that a cheap enclosure will get you your data more quickly... Let us know once you're all set.

ElijahPost

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
This is the Best Way

1. Find a quality enclosure so you can keep using the drive as an external. I suggest the Mercury On-The-Go. Just make sure that your drive is of the proper interface (ATA, IDE, SATA, PATA, Etc.)

2. On the new computer (with it's bigger HD, I presume) run Mogration Assistant. Migration Assistant will detect the older drive as a Mac OS X Volume no matter the exact system specifications and migrate your files over to the new system.

3. Make the nicest drink ever, because you'll have to wait a few hours for the migration to complete. When it's done, not only will you have had the opportunity to move your documents, but your settings, and applications too.

I do hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.