Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
I took a class that requires the use of Final Cut and we are issued a mac pro 45 min a day. Theres no HD video and no firewire involved so I think im good. They said we could use a copy for free on our own computer but never followed up with how to get it. Can I just copy it on to a flash drive from the Mac Pro and drag the icon onto my MBA? How is the performance on a rev c air I have used iMovie etc with great performance.:apple:

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
You need an application install DVD. You also need a license for the Mac you plan to install it on. You cannot simply copy the app folder from the Mac it's installed on to a USB drive. It would not work. You need to buy the app and get the install DVD. Maybe you could get it discounted if it's through school.

InTheUnion

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
I'm far from being an expert on the situation and this may be useless but...

If you open Disk Utility, select the Final Cut disc (if you have the disc :/ ) in the sidebar, in the toolbar at the top click "New Image", and save it to somewhere.

EDIT: May say "permission denied" when you try to do this.

Then you need to:
plug your flash drive in (hopefully it's big enough).
open up the image you made so it appears in the sidebar of disk utility
click on your flash drive in the sidebar and go to the "restore" tab.
drag the image you made from the sidebar to the "source" box.
drag your flash drive to the "Destination" box.
tick the "erase destination" box.
click "restore".

If everything goes well and I'm not completely stupid ;) it should work as though it were a disc.
cant promise ANYTHING though, so sorry if it doesn't work.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I'm far from being an expert on the situation and this may be useless but...

If you open Disk Utility, select the Final Cut disc (if you have the disc :/ ) in the sidebar, in the toolbar at the top click "New Image", and save it to somewhere.

EDIT: May say "permission denied" when you try to do this.

Then you need to:
plug your flash drive in (hopefully it's big enough).
open up the image you made so it appears in the sidebar of disk utility
click on your flash drive in the sidebar and go to the "restore" tab.
drag the image you made from the sidebar to the "source" box.
drag your flash drive to the "Destination" box.
tick the "erase destination" box.
click "restore".

If everything goes well and I'm not completely stupid ;) it should work as though it were a disc.
cant promise ANYTHING though, so sorry if it doesn't work.

That's the thing though, this person basically wants to copy it from a working Mac... NOT POSSIBLE OR ETHICALLY RIGHT. Need to have the real disc, and could possibly make an image from that to USB... but the deal isn't that this person stated no access to a disc drive but rather wants to get the app for free... not going to work...

Nobody here should explain how to pirate this either. If used at school, surely there is a discount available for the software. What also isn't expressed is whether this is "Express" or Studio. Big difference in running on an MBA there...

I personally get sick of people trying to assert that they have a right to an app, so tell them how to get it without the disk. I read it all over the forums, and it makes me sick when people inform them how to "steal" it. I don't appreciate Apple charging me more money for software to pay for all the times it was taken without paying for use.

If you have a right to this software, pay whatever fee and use a disk.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
I DO OWN Final Cut Studio 2 and I DID COPY it from my MacBook Pro to 2.13Ghz MacBook Air.

Honestly, it's only been good for SD video and only playback and minor edits not heavy editing. Soundtrack Pro hangs (2gbs of ram is to blame) and Motion, Color and other apps are pretty much worthless.

However, it does work. Here's how it works.

/Applications.

Copy all apps to the /Applications folder on your MBA. It can be done via your airport network or you can even copy all of it to a folder on a USB drive.

/Library/Application Support.

Copy /Apple & /Final Cut Pro.

In total, you're copying around 50 gigabytes of data.

Upon launching any of the Final Cut Pro apps, you just have to enter the serial number from your FC Studio 2 box.

Now I don't know if this works for FC Studio 3 but it did work for 2.

I'd like to add that if you're pirating software, that's illegal but this does work for legit copies of Final Cut studio from a computer to a MacBook Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.