Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macdantheman07

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
NYC
Hi everyone i have just noticed that iChat will not open. I have tried repairing permissions, forcequitting the "ichat agent" from activity monitor, and i tried to activate ichat from the menu bar with the message bubble icon.

This is very serious and i would appreciate some help. My social life is at stake! lol

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
IF you actually tried my suggestion above, you would have found out that the installer will reinstall iChat AV 2.1 even though there is already some version of iChat installed on your computer. Hence, there is no need to reinstall the whole operating system.

Macdantheman07

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
NYC
just tried ur suggestion and it didn't do a thing. I believe that is just an update to ichat as it only weighs in at 4.1mbs

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
The link to the download site is for a full install of iChat AV 2.1, not an update. Don't determine an update from a full package based on its file size. Normally, unless a download page specifically states "Update" or "Full version," then the package is usually a full install and not an update.

Well, since Plan A didn't work...

Plan B: Go into this folder: [user]/Library/Preferences/

Look for the following files:
com.apple.iChat.AIM.plist
com.apple.iChat.plist
com.apple.iChatAgent.plist

Delete them all, and try to open iChat again.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Make sure you're running 10.3.4 first, as there is a tech site that might be able to help you out...

If you want to get more technical feedback as to why iChat is doing that, then post the situation over at http://www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2/ in the Apple help section and also include your current OS and Mac model.

Macdantheman07

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
NYC
I believe this is turning out to be a network problem. My other mac is having the same problem now that i checked it. My router may have blocked a port, but that doesn't make any sense because regular AIM opens up fine. i'll go check out the site u gave me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.