Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Gdgt reports that RealNetworks has submitted its Rhapsody app for the iPhone and iPod touch to the App Store for approval. The app will provide on-demand streaming music to Rhapsody subscribers and it will offer a limited free trial for non-subscribers to test the service.

The RealNetworks blog describes that the app will be easy and intuitive to use and will include the ability to search the entire Rhapsody library of over 8 million songs. A video demonstrating the app has been posted and can be viewed here.

Article Link: Rhapsody Coming to the iPhone?

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
oh lordy! Steve press the Denied button :)

are Real still going ? i thought that RealDVD copy thingy killed them off ?

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
Apple will never approve this. Unless it purchases RealNetworks or something. Apple certainly has the cash!

The advantage to Apple is that it would give them a subscription service. But iTunes is the most successful music retailer without that type of service, so I just don't see Apple going that way.

The submission will get some publicity for the Rhapsody service, though.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
ATT has publicly stated they are not in the business of approving apps.

That leaves only one party to approve or disapprove this app(le)

You are (probably, based on what we now know) correct!

Let me rephrase: I seriously doubt that Apple would approve this app working over AT&T's 3G network.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
$15 a month ??????????????? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Yeah, I don't think Apple is going to worry about approving this App. No one is going to pay $15/month !!!!!

People already pay for the service on the computers.

this is just an extension of their subscription much like XM/Sirius.

I believe the subscriber also get 5 download a month to own with the subscription

Excellerator

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2008
Rhapsody is SO worth it. You can listen to pretty much every album out. This is one the apps I was waiting for. Didn't think it would come when Verizon snagged them up. I just hope Apple releases it.

No, with this and when Hulu and Netflix On Demand apps come out this will be great!

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Its no different Pandora. Not sure why people would think it wouldn't approved. It just sucks the the mobile service costs $10 more a month.

kts911

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2009
I hope this gets approved

Please don't let this turn into a debate about subscription vs. pay-as-you-go. Different models suit different peoples needs. Its also a case of short term vs. long-term.

That being said, I see this getting approved. It is a lot like iMeem which lets you stream your collection to your iPhone. Pandora is a little different because you can't pick out a specific song, its more like radio.

I just really would like to see this app approved.

jeffu

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2006
Great Ap - nothing like Pandora...

I have Rhapsody and LOVE IT! It's one of the few things I actually pay for and think it's worth every penny.

Unlike Pandora that just plays "like" songs, you actually pick an Artist and an Album and listen to the entire thing. It's great, I hear something on XM that maybe I want to explore more - I go to Rhapsody, plug in the Artist and listen to the whole CD - not just snippets or 30 seconds. So, I don't have to own the cd unless it's something I really want to spend my money on - in the meantime I can check out a lot of artists that I've heard of or may be curious about, find I like them, then buy the CD.

Their catalog is HUGE, they have just about anything you can imagine, so the choices are endless. I would love this on my iPhone.

james4513

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2008
Have Rhapsody already and it is great. Already pay for my PC's and portable, so this is free for me. Hope it gets through. It would really be great with multi-tasking, but that's asking too much from Apple now. Maybe the next iPhone. Until then Jailbreak and Backgrounder, but that's way to hard for most users.

Good luck RNWK!

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
that subscription model seems a bit stiff to me, but users seem to love it. i'd be surprised if apple allows it since i'd assume they would call it duplicative and not pass it through.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Well this news doesn't bode well for the iPhone Cassette Tape peripheral.

Malcster

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2005
Bristol, UK
The Spotify app that offers pretty much the same functionality (altho does have an offline mode) has been in review with Apple for a month now.

Real better not hold there breath...

Expecting a reject decision anytime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.