Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Aug 24, 2009, 12:51 PM   #1
VirtualRain
macrumors 603

Sync laptop with iTunes on my Mac Pro as if it was an iPod?

I have an extensive iTunes library that I maintain on my Mac Pro.

Is there anyway I can use my MacBook Air as an iPod and sync it with my Mac Pro to download selected iTunes content and playlists to my laptop?

In other words, I would like iTunes to see and treat my laptop as an iPod and when the laptop is on the network, I can sync it to my Mac Pro iTunes library?
Old Aug 24, 2009, 02:01 PM   #2
duky
macrumors 6502

Don't know if you'll find exactly what you're looking for, but I do a similar thing using Windows Live Sync to keep my Music folders synced and it works great. My only gripe is that it doesn't seem to work under Snow Leopard. I'm sure that will be changed soon but as far as I know it's not working right now. I guess this is not as selective as an iPod-like sync..
Old Aug 24, 2009, 02:20 PM   #3
old-wiz
macrumors 604

You can always simply copy your iTunes library from your MacPro to the Macbook. That's how I sync mine.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 03:35 PM   #4
trasheff
macrumors newbie

I keep my library on two machines and use AAsync to automatically sync them.

Although if you only want to copy a little I don't know whether there's a better way.
trasheff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 05:44 PM   #5
VirtualRain
macrumors 603

There are lots of ways to sync the entire library.

I would like to sync selected playlists.

I wish my laptop could just show up in iTunes (on my Mac Pro) like an iPod. It's bizarre that Apple doesn't account for multi-mac users. Surely I'm not their only customer with two Mac's (a desktop and a laptop)?
Old Jan 2, 2011, 08:02 AM   #6
DerHering
macrumors newbie

I'd love to have this

Is there any software engineer from apple reading this forum? I would love to have the feature mentioned above. It would be the greatest way of syncing many iTunes installations by just having them being treated like an i-device (iPod, iPhone).

This would mean that you define your "Master iTunes" and switch all other iTunes installations into the "iPod Mode". By doing so, the iTunes installation would be showing up as a device in your Master iTunes and could exactly be treated like an iPod. I would only have those files on my iPod Mode iTunes that I would need and I could decide exactly the same way as I can for my iPod.

Please, make this come real. I would need this much more than any Ping, Genius and other stuff.

I have three Macs here and a Mac Mini Server. It would be so great to have this easy way of syncing. And you have the software and everything already.

Please, make it happen. :-)

Best
Hering.
DerHering is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod