Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 24, 2009, 05:52 PM   #1
ethical
macrumors 68000

O2 exclusive rights coming to an end in October?

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/0,39...9303236,00.htm

Quote:
Reports are emerging that O2's exclusive deal on the Apple iPhone will end on 9 October.

Mobile Entertainment claims to have seen documentation that marks the end of the deal on the iPhone, although O2 will continue to be the only provider to carry the iPhone 3GS.

O2 may have shot itself in the foot with recent comments blaming the high price of the 3GS on the Cupertino-based manufacturer. T-Mobile is already offering the iPhone 3G to power customers as a retention option, according to The Register. Meanwhile, Orange shop staff are telling customers that according to an internal magazine they'll be selling it soon -- but that's according to one Craver's mate's father-in-law, and he also claims he went to school with Elvis and once beat Pelé at table football.

The UK is not the only country to have an exclusive deal on the iPhone. In the States, dissatisfaction with AT&T has seen one high-profile casualty, a wave of bile on Twitter and an FCC investigation.

If you're an Orange customer and you fancy an iPhone but have resisted O2 up to now, it might be the perfect time to leg it from your contract in readiness. And whatever the provider options turn out to be, don't forget the secret one-month contract we revealed last month.
Looks fairly promising for Orange customers, and those who really dont want to go with O2. Some of the comments at the bottom of the page also back it up.

What do you think?
ethical is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 08:45 AM   #2
ethical
macrumors 68000

Decided to do some googleing and it seems this is pretty genuine. Orange and T-Mobile are trying to get in on the action, although it is thought O2 will still own the exclusive rights to the 3GS... so Orange and T-Mobile will only be able to offer the 3G.

My parents will certainly be pleased! They are long time Orange customers who would both love the iPhone!
ethical is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 06:08 PM   #3
archipellago
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenn View Post
Decided to do some googleing and it seems this is pretty genuine. Orange and T-Mobile are trying to get in on the action, although it is thought O2 will still own the exclusive rights to the 3GS... so Orange and T-Mobile will only be able to offer the 3G.

My parents will certainly be pleased! They are long time Orange customers who would both love the iPhone!
Orange are awful in every area, especially C/services. I wouldn't wish them on anyone.
archipellago is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:01 PM   #4
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

Eh if I have to give up my iPhone or AT&T gets worse I will go back to a long string with a paper cup at each end, like you used as a kid to talk to your friends.

Technology is going to kill us all, it will be like all the iRobots coming after us and cell phones attacking us, oh no it is the attack of the Killer Tomatoes...LOL

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone