Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisliv

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Midwest, North America
Yes,

I posted this same question at the Apple Forum, too, because the Samsung F2380 is pretty new, and there's no user comments that I notice on the Web, yet.

Here's some specs from the Samsung site:

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/...s&subtype=professional&model_cd=LS23NVTABW/ZA

I like the cPVA idea, the 1920 x 1080 resolution and 16:9 aspect ratio. HDMI is not too important to me. It's priced well, at around $330, too.

The 23" size displays is about perfect, I think, for the space I'll use. I'm also looking at the ASUS VH236H for it's great pricing and performance, in a TN panel. I'm currently using a 20.4" Dell 2005FPW.

Ideally, I like the Lacie 324, but for $650 on a refurbished unit, that's more than I want to spend.

This Samsung F2380 is called a "professional" panel, since it is probably better with color and text than typical 23" displays priced around $100 less. And I do a little graphics and photo work, so I'm willing to spend a little more than I would for general purposes.

So, if anyone has one already, I'd be happy to hear how you like it. And, if I do get one, I'll undoubtedly share my impression here.

Peace be with you,
C. Livingstone

MacFanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2009
UK
I don't have one, but thanks for posting about this. I had been asking questions, looking for a good monitor and this seems perfect. I will be watching out for reviews so if I find any, I'll let you know.

chrisliv

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Midwest, North America
Yeah,

It seems to fit a little niche, for me.

But it's a little sparse on the typical consumer features, like USB hub, built-in speakers, card reader, blah, blah, blah.

As long as there's no serious input lag or excessive ghosting with movies, it looks good on paper, so to speak.

Peace to you,
C. Livingstone

MacFanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2009
UK
Yeah,

It seems to fit a little niche, for me.

But it's a little sparse on the typical consumer features, like USB hub, built-in speakers, card reader, blah, blah, blah.

As long as there's no serious input lag or excessive ghosting with movies, it looks good on paper, so to speak.

Peace to you,
C. Livingstone

I agree, however, I'm not really that fussed about a USB hub, built in speakers, etc. Yeah the USB hub would've been nice, but I'd rather have a good monitor at a good price (£244).

chrisliv

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Midwest, North America
OK,

There is one seemingly comprehensive review on the F2380 that I've now found. It gives it a mixed review, but mentions that text, input lag, and ghosting are all pretty good. There's even links to some YouTube video clips of the guy doing various tests. Nice.

http://samsungf2380.blogspot.com/

Peace to you all,
C. Livingstone

gmlk

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009
I've just bought a P2350 and I love it. I suspect the F2380 to be even better.

However... I can't connect it to my Mac mini via DVI, only VGA. Does anyone here have a clue why this is the case? And what, if anything, I can do about it?

chrisliv

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Midwest, North America
Hey,

Glad to hear that you like your new monitor.

Gee, I'll bet you can connect via DVI, somehow.

There are two DVI styles: DVI-D (digital) and DVI-I (analog). The Mini can handle both. The DVI-D is preferable; it's the one with a single, flat, horizontal insert on the right. The DVI-I has the four little pins, I believe, around that same single insert.

So, which type of DVI cable are you using? If it's not a DVI-D, that's what I'd try first. Or, maybe it only takes the DVI-I...

And, I'd set the Display resolution to the native one for the monitor. Hopefully the Mini can match it, precisely.

Please let us all hear how it goes.

Peace to you,
C. Livingstone

gmlk

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009
Via DVI-D. The mac mini can match the native res in vga so that shouldn't be a problem. The problem is that somehow the hardware of the display can't process the signal from the mac.

I think the problem is in the (max) pixel rate (somehow)?

chrisliv

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Midwest, North America
Yeah,

Check the spec on the pixel/refresh rate. And check the Display preference for different rates at the same resolution when you have it connected via DVI.

But, if you can't get the monitor to work via DVI, I'd take it back, if possible, or sell it to a PC user that can utilize it better.

Peace to you,
C. Livingstone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.