Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigjay33

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Wanted to see how many people are planning on upgrading to 10.6 after it's release? Looks like a lot of under the hood refinements that will hopefully assist with the new FCS. Anybody hear of any changes 10.6 will bring to the new FCS?

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
I just picked up FCS3 last week and am planning on upgrading to SL this Friday but I haven't heard any direct updates. The only thing I can think of is that since SL brings iChat bandwith and quality improvements that FCS iChat Theater Share should be smoother and cleaner.

Steve-F

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
UK
I'm pondering the new QuickTime and it's compatibility with FCS2??? I might upgrade to Snow Leopard before I upgrade to FCS3.
Any thoughts on this?
Steve

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I am going to pick them both up, which is against my better judgement since new OS releases and new apps spell bugs, but I will try my luck.

I know that FCS2 went berserk when Leopard was installed on all my machines and the machines at my former job. I hope that FCS3 was developed with the SL update in mind.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
I have FCS3 and I will upgrade to Snow Leopard (with a clean install to boot). I'm only doing this because I have a scheduled project gap that allows me to test things out beforehand. If it isn't up to doing what I need, I'll reinstall Leopard.

P-Worm

Macinposh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
Kreplakistan
Going to do a backup hdd and run the update on that,just to see how things bork up. Well,if they bork up...

But it would be goddam weird if SL would mess up fcp3 as they have had to run and developed them side by side.

sl1200mk2

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2006
Going to do a backup hdd and run the update on that,just to see how things bork up. Well,if they bork up...

But it would be goddam weird if SL would mess up fcp3 as they have had to run and developed them side by side.

I just can't imagine FCS3 would need an immediate patch to be compatible with SL, but stranger things in the software world have certainly happened. If for some reason it did, I would have to hope to avoid the PR disaster in the making making, Apple would have some Pro App updates ready to roll on Friday as well.

Aperture, ok, I could understand that since it's an older release and might have compatibility issues that take a minor wait for a point release. Logic 9 and Logic Express should run out of the box as well.

Palhoni

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2009
Has anyone tried FCS 3 with Snow Leopard?
I'm thinking of upgrading both, but I have really bad memories of my upgrade to Leopard... :(

tri3limited

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
London
I've read elsewhere that SxS functionality is broken in Snow Leopard via the ExpressCard Slot on some MacBook Pro's.

As with all updates, especially if you're mid-project, avoid installing until you've read that it's not going to break anything you use first.

I'm not upgrading yet as SxS is needed by me, not forgetting to mention that Snow Leopard is not officially compatible with my MXO2 or my grade controller.

I'd love to upgrade but for the moment shall have to wait!

DaReal_Dionysus

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2009
I have upgraded to SL, but i did not do a fresh install. I did have a few problems with going this route. I reinstalled doing a complete fresh install and have received no problems thus far. FCS 3 seems to be running perfectly so far. But thats today, lets see what tomorrow brings.

DaReal_Dionysus

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2009
Has anyone tried FCS 3 with Snow Leopard?
I'm thinking of upgrading both, but I have really bad memories of my upgrade to Leopard... :(

I'm on SL and FCS 3. It seems to be working fine. However it's only been 3 days and I sort of took it easy the last few days. I will getting into it full blown today and i will post back with any issues.

arri

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2008
Larry Jordan's take

larry jordan writes:

The reason Apple released Final Cut Studio (3) BEFORE Snow Leopard, I believe, was that it did not support any of the new features in Snow Leopard. FCS is not 64-bit. It is not Grand-Central Dispatch aware. It does not support GPU-based rendering.
In other words, upgrading to Snow Leopard will not significantly improve or change the operation of Final Cut Studio. For that, we will need to wait for a future release.
So, as you are weighing whether and when to update to Snow Leopard, be sure to make the decision for the correct reason: there is something in it that you just can't live without. Because Final Cut 7 will still be essentially the same.

that is advice from an apple certified instructor.

me, i did an upgrade of both products when they came out, and as far as i can tell, FCS works ok. i am back to Leopard 10.5.7 though as Leopards last update had some permission repair issues for me, and snow leopard broke Soncifire Pro, an app i use all the time. i will stay here till there is a safe fix for Sonicfire that does not uninstall my music library for that app.

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
It's well known that FCS for all it's greatness, is heavy with old 32bit carbon code. Much like Adobe's issues with it's CS4 update, Apple basically is forced to do a full re-write from the ground up. I don't expect FCS 4 to ship for at least 1 year, probably 18 months minimum. I don't expect it to fully be 10.6 optimized also. (or 10.7, whatever is out by then). I do expect it to require 10.6 as a minimum OS tho, to properly take advantage of all the under the hood tweaks SL offers.
We will probably see a handful of updates to the FCS3 apps over the coming months, but nothing too major outside of bug fixes.
I expect, actually at this point demand, that FCS4 be a mindblowing multi-threaded, OpenCL, 64bit videogasm of awesome to showcase what all these 10.6 under the hood changes provide developers.

SL really won't shine for 6-8 months, once major apps start taking advantage of it. I'm glad the 10.6 initial release is a lot less buggy the initial 10.5 release. Leopard really didn't settle down for me until around 10.5.4.

DaReal_Dionysus

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2009
Day 4 of FCS3 w/ SL upgrade. No real issues and I did everything I normally would do, from Time line to compressor it worked fine. I will say this. Compressor blu ray burning doesn't work in every region.

Still the only one that does that is sonic. Now I know why I had to pay $96,000 for the sonic blu ray system.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Oddly I just downgraded both 10.6 to 10.5 and ditched FCS 3 as well.
The problems?
-MPEG2 encoding with Cinemacraft broken.
-MPEG2 encoding with compressor gives some bad results using frame controls from HD source.

I'm going to give it some time and install FCS3 when I can spend more time debugging.

edbeta

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
MONTREAL
In my conversation with Sony support they advised me that unfortunately Snow Leopard is not currently supported by the current versions of XDCAM related software's from Sony.

Since this is a very recent release from Apple that involves significant change to the Mac OS it may take several months, perhaps winter or spring for full Snow Leopard support from Sony. The exact schedule is still TBD.

(Drivers Update should be in september).

It is therefore recommended to continue using the most recent release of Leopard to maintain smooth operation of the XDCAM software within the Mac environment.

For your reference the latest Sony software release versions are as below:

As of August 26th 2009

PDW-U1 v 2.420

PDW-U1 Utility for PC or Mac v 2.21

FAM Driver 2.20 comes with the PDZ-1 software or XDT for Mac

PDZ-1 v 2.60

XDCAM Viewer 2.30 PC only separate from PDZ-1

XDCAM TRANSFER for FCP v 2.10.0

EX Browser 2.5.1

Thanks for your continued support of XDCAM!

http://web.mac.com/edbeta

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
UGH, we waited HOW long for an FCS update, and it doesn't even support grand central or GPU offloading?

can everyone say it with me..

BAH

BAH indeed! Why isn't Compressor 64-bit? How much re-writing would that take? Just compressor?? C'monnnnnn Apple!

Mavimao

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2005
Lyon, France
BAH indeed! Why isn't Compressor 64-bit? How much re-writing would that take? Just compressor?? C'monnnnnn Apple!

Well, like Final Cut Pro, it's very possible that Compressor is an application written mostly in Carbon. This means that it can only be in 32-bit (as Apple has made Cocoa the only 64-bit API in OSX). If this were true, then it will require, same as FCP, a complete re-write which is not a simple undertaking. These are very complex applications with many lines of code. There are a lot of naïve people on this board who think that programming is a simple affair.

I've only taken an introductory course in programming, but after banging my head around in turmoil for a night not understanding why I couldn't get an on-screen object to do what I wanted it to I realize that writing an operating system or writing a video-editing application is no walk in the park.

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
Like CS4, FCS3 really turned out to be a bit of an optional upgrade for those who didn't have a specific need for the new features. Really a bit of a let down. I think most people would rather have waited for a SL release than bought a stopgap release.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Anyone running FCS 2/FCP 6? Sorry if i'm old school but the upgrades aren't worth $1,000 for me :rolleyes:

jaxmcg

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2009
i just bought the new 27" iMac.. and i'm trying to install FCP6 to it (because that is the version we are currently running at school).. so far no avail. Is it because of the 10.6 version im currently running that its not working??

if i install FCS3 will i be able to make edits from home, transfer them to my external hard drive, and use them on my schools older version of FCP6? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.