Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KH8756

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2009
Hi. Does the Incase slider case scratch the back of the iPhone, when you put it on? I've googled this and have found that there are people that have reported that their iPhones' backs have been scratched by the Incase slider. I have also seen a video on youtube, in which a reviewer mentioned that if you put the incase slider on very carefully and gently, it will not scratch the iPhone. Has anyone's iPhone 3G's back here been scratched by this case? If so, did you put it on carefully and gently? I know I posted something similar to this in another thread of mine, and received reply. Another user told me that some have said that this case has scratched their iPhones badly and some didn't. I'm asking this again, but I'm being a little more specific, asking if you have put it on gently or not. Thank you!

hsk

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2009
Austin, TX
IMO, no it will not unless there is a foreign object in the case when you put it on. I had one for a month - took it on and off quite a few times - and never had a problem (my daughter has it now - I am using a Candyshell or Feather). Just make sure both the case and the phone are clean. Any case will scratch the phone if "grit" gets caught between it and the phone. My Feather did just that - scratched the Apple logo.

solideliquid

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
Not in my experience. Use a microfiber cloth and wipe down the iPhone as well as the slider before putting it on. I've had several sliders and several other types of cases and I've never had a problem.

If people take their dirty, dusty iphones and slide them into cases I wouldn't be surprised the "case" scratched their phones.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
My incase never scratched the back as I kept it very clean before installing. Now as for the chrome bezel scratching, that's another store entirely :mad: I'm a believer in the Incipio Feather and/or the Speck CandyShell.

hsk

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2009
Austin, TX
Funny - my daughter pulled off her Slider last night to find a scratch on the back, right side of her 3GS - a bad one. Looks like something wiggled its way down the side of the case. I had my Feather on for 2 days, pulled it off last night and saw 2 new small scratches on the Apple logo.

I don't believe any case will completely keep the iPhone scratch free, but so far the Candyshell is doing a great job as an all around case.

DukeL

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2009
Search around. The answer is YES the slider will scratch your iPhone. They all fit different so I guess thats why there are a few lucky ones here that claim the slider didn't scratch theirs , though I bet if I held their iPhone up in the sunlight I could surely point out some scratches.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
I've had 2 sliders and neither have left a single mark on my phone. Of course, I was hyper-anal about wiping every speck of dust possible off of the phone before sliding the case on, and I did not remove the case(s) very often at all, as I figured if the case wasn't moving against the phone, 10 to 1 it wouldn't be scratching it.

I still like the Solo FX or Candyshell better, though, but that's me. :)

ratbatblue

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
Yes. The Slider will scratch your iPhone. Hairline surface scratches on the back, and nasty ones on the bezel, particularly on the bottom, near the Home button. I don't want to call anyone a liar, so MAYBE if you remove the case a few times a day and scrupulously clean everything in sight, you can avoid it. But in my experience, removing the Slider very often, even often enough to dock the phone, which it is meant to do, results in a case that no longer fits quite the same. I just returned one that had that happen after 3 weeks of use. I'm hoping the replacement works out better. But I also just bought one of those nice black aluminum docks that accepts the phone with the case on. I'll live with the scratched bezel, because it won't be seen. It will bug me anyway, but I won't be able to see it, so I'll avoid the cold sweats. :)

KH8756

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2009
Thanks for the replies guys. So I guess this case does scratch the phone according to some of you guys. Oh well, I'm using a slider right now. I haven't taken it off to see if it did scratch my phone yet, but I sure hope it hasn't. I put it on two days ago and will take it off every week to clean it, to hopefully avoid scratches. Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

is300guy

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2009
Fresno, Ca
My incase slider scratched my 3GS and my 3G iPhone. It was a scratch that left a 1 line mark next to the volume controls. I love the incase but, it is detouring me to another case since I got the Zagg invisibleshield. So I'll need a case to fit this now.

Ruffian829

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2008
The first thing I did was put my incase on my brand new iphone, when I took it out of the box, and I took the incase out of the packaging- they were both brand new and clean, and I took my case off about a week ago and there are marks and scratches all over the back.
I do not take the case off a lot, and I do not put the iphone back in the case w/o it being clean and w/o the case being clean. It doesn't matter how careful I am, it scratches the iphone. I try not to think about it too much, considering if I keep the case on I can't see the marks, but knowing they are there is really disappointing. I didn't realize it was such a common thing- the guy at apple talked me into this case... might go back there and see what they can do for me about it....

m0no

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2009
The first thing I did was put my incase on my brand new iphone, when I took it out of the box, and I took the incase out of the packaging- they were both brand new and clean, and I took my case off about a week ago and there are marks and scratches all over the back.
I do not take the case off a lot, and I do not put the iphone back in the case w/o it being clean and w/o the case being clean. It doesn't matter how careful I am, it scratches the iphone. I try not to think about it too much, considering if I keep the case on I can't see the marks, but knowing they are there is really disappointing. I didn't realize it was such a common thing- the guy at apple talked me into this case... might go back there and see what they can do for me about it....

I've never had any problems with my incase slider for my 3G and don't have any scratches. If you don't take the case off often, then dust and other particles can work their way into the case and possibly cause scratches. Overall, I love it but I've been thinking about just using it without the case so I can enjoy the phones complete design.

bazc

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2009
try lining the back of the iphone with the thin plastic film that came with it in the box. cut and shape it to fit. this should provide at least some protection from scratches.

lonnielove

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Ok has anybody tried to put it on with the wrapsol on the back, if so does it peel off, I infact have the otterbox and no dirt gets in the case even with the screen protector cut off the front.

lollicup

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2009
IMO, no it will not unless there is a foreign object in the case when you put it on. I had one for a month - took it on and off quite a few times - and never had a problem (my daughter has it now - I am using a Candyshell or Feather). Just make sure both the case and the phone are clean. Any case will scratch the phone if "grit" gets caught between it and the phone. My Feather did just that - scratched the Apple logo.

This is 100% accurate
It's not the case, its the contaminants that will scracth your phone
silicone will not scratch an iPhone. This is like people who think microfibers will scratch a phone, its not the towel, its the contaminants.

OP I would avoid reading reviews on cases on this site. There are very OCD people here who are both paranoid and overly protective of their phones ( 20+ cases).

For a regular person, the Incase slider will not scratch an iPhone ( my brother has had one for months, with zero scratches)

analytical44

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2008
Philly
In my experience, the answer to your question is yes but only if you don't take the case off periodically (once a month or so) and clean out all the junk that accumulates in the case. These particles are what wind up scratching the phone, not the case itself. If you do this, you should be fine. Even if you don't, the scratches are almost invisible, except for the ones on the Apple logo. Great case by the way, protection from drops is top notch. It is always my first recommendation whenever someone is looking for a case.

edit: After reading your post, I took off my case to do some cleaning and I do notice a few small scratches on the bottom of the bezel. While this may have been the case, I have dropped my phone about 4-5 times (3 bad ones) with this case on so the impact may have been the culprit. All I know is that without this case, I probably would have been SOL after a couple of those drops.

Yell0w

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2008
This is 100% accurate
It's not the case, its the contaminants that will scracth your phone
silicone will not scratch an iPhone. This is like people who think microfibers will scratch a phone, its not the towel, its the contaminants.

OP I would avoid reading reviews on cases on this site. There are very OCD people here who are both paranoid and overly protective of their phones ( 20+ cases).

For a regular person, the Incase slider will not scratch an iPhone ( my brother has had one for months, with zero scratches)

Yes it's not the case itself that is scratching people's phone, it's the dust/particles that get into the case and those are the ones that leave a mark. To avoid this, take off the case and clean it regularly.

crhudy1985

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2009
I haven't had a problem with my incase slider scratching my 3GS on the back or the bevel. I only have a few scratches visible on the apple and that is from a week with no case. But I do regularly take the phone out to clean and clean the slider case (lint does seem to gather at the different port openings.

rjsmith18

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2008
I have a few minor scratches from the case, but nothing compared to the scratches Ive seen with other similar cases. I only notice them if I look really hard. This case does its job.

mikejfrd

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
I'm sure its been said already but if you put a narrow piece of screen protector over the back of the phone covering the apple down to the lettering on the bottom, you will have no scratching at all.

I also push the ends of the case out as I take the case off to take pressure off of the phone as I slide the case off. So far no scratches at all!!! I also solved my screen protector fitment issues by installing the PS screen protector AFTER the case was on the phone!! Fits perfect!!!!

lollicup

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2009
a used iPhone is a used iPhone

why do you guys believe that a scracth or two is going to lower the resale value :confused:

I can understand an iPhone that was dropped or really abused selling for less, but any phone in a case will sell well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.