Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blink7551

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
The title says it all. Im moving in a week from the US to Europe. Ive bought all my apps on the US app store. Some of the apps arent offered in Europe and Im assuming some wont even work over there (ie. Pandora).

But I have a bunch of games. Will I be able to keep those? Also, I'll have to switch over to my country's App Store to buy new apps once over there, correct?

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Will you have a way to keep your current iTunes account active? If you keep a US credit card and mailing address, you should have no problem. Also you can always add money buy having someone send you iTunes gift cards from the US.

I'm an expat living in Australia and my US credit card statement gets sent to my employer's address and they forward mail to me. I have kept my US account and can still download apps and music/video from iTunes. This is great because I can keep up to date on current US TV shows, etc.

I also opened an Australian store account using my local credit card. You need to use a different e-mail address, but you can have additional accounts authorised on your iTunes. I've used it to download a couple of Aussie only apps and songs that weren't available in the US store.

All apps sync fine to my iPod touch. I normally stay logged into my US account. I just have to remember to every so often log into the Aussie account to check for app updates. You'll only get automatic notification of updates for the account you're actually logged in to.

Hope this helps!! Good luck with the move.

proxi

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2009
From my experience you can freely switch between appstores (or rather accounts) on device. It is a tad uncomfortable when updating (itunes pops up asking for password to the other store if currently logged into a different account), but other than that no problem.

iSaga

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
You'll have no problem keeping the current apps you own. Like you said Pandora won't work in Europe unfortunately. Make sure you keep your US iTunes account for updates though, even if you just keep a credit card soley for your iTunes account.

That is what I did, I am an american living in Norway and have kept my american credit card just to be used with my iTunes account. I also have an iTunes account in this country if I ever need it, although I still have never used it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.