Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:40 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Apple Releases New iPhone 3GS Ad: 'Avid'






Apple has released a new iPhone 3GS commercial targeting sports enthusiasts. Like many recent iPhone ads, 'Avid' highlights three applications linked by a common theme and is available in Apple's iPhone ad gallery.

- Golfshot: Golf GPS [App Store, $29.99] - Provides GPS range-finding and aerial views for over 15,000 golf courses worldwide.
- MLB.com At Bat 2009 [App Store, $9.99] - Offers live video streaming of limited Major League Baseball games, as well as audio streaming, video highlights and recaps, and "Gameday" live graphical pitch-by-pitch coverage.
- TouchSports Tennis '09 [App Store, $0.99] - Offers a realistic 3D tennis game experience with multiple characters and courts to choose from.

Article Link: Apple Releases New iPhone 3GS Ad: 'Avid'
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:58 AM   #2
deannnnn
macrumors 68000
 
deannnnn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York City & South Florida
I'm pretty sure this ad has been out for a few weeks now.
I've seen it during Yankees games.
__________________
MacBook Pro (Retina) / iPhone 5S
deannnnn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:59 AM   #3
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604
 
SFStateStudent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Francisco California, USA
Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
+1 ^^^ Yup, I got the GolfShot GPS for $80 for lifetime and it's well worth it for me. Make sure you are fully charged before getting out on the course....

Now if I can only get it off my KRZR and on my iPhone, I'd be happy, since the one I bought is a Verizon specific app...
__________________
MBP 2.5GHz 640GB 4GB RAM Mac Pro iPhone 4S iOS 5 Black 64GB AC+ NEW iPad Apple TV 2G

Last edited by SFStateStudent; Aug 25, 2009 at 12:07 PM.
SFStateStudent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 12:30 PM   #4
rakbook
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Centre Court?

Isn't centre court at Wimbledon... as in grass?
rakbook is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 03:00 PM   #5
fpnc
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Since the iPhone's GPS is only accurate to about +/- 50 feet (at best) I can't see how anyone would spend $30 for the Golf GPS app.
fpnc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 03:11 PM   #6
iphones4evry1
macrumors 65816
 
iphones4evry1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: California, USA
The concept of the GPS golf App is pretty cool ! It knows the coordinates of the pins on each hole and using your GPS, calculates your distance. Now, that's a sweet gadget! (Just be sure to put the phone on sleep when you aren't actively using it, or your battery won't get you to the 18th).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpnc View Post
Since the iPhone's GPS is only accurate to about +/- 50 feet (at best) I can't see how anyone would spend $30 for the Golf GPS app.
Absolutely incorrect. Maybe it depends on where you live, but when I walk from one side of my house to the other, if I walk into my backyard or out to my car, my GPS blue dot moves and is accurate +/- 25 feet. (no, I do not live in a mansion, a normal middle-class size house). When I'm outdoors (not in a building), it is even more accurate, maybe +/- 15 feet. I'm being totally serious, and I've tested this many times using the satellite view in maps. Like I said, maybe it varies based on where you live, but in my area, it's surprisingly accurate. I've used the GPS pin to find my car numerous times in parking lots, and sometimes it's literally dead-on accurate, and sometimes it is off by about 20 feet. It varies from time to time.

Last edited by iphones4evry1; Aug 25, 2009 at 03:19 PM.
iphones4evry1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 05:52 PM   #7
spillproof
macrumors 68020
 
spillproof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
So for the MLB app, you can watch live games (with delay of course) over 3G? The description says it detects your connection to deliver the appropriate quality.

For where i live, Tampa Florida, the GPS dot fails a lot. Many times I don't even get a blue dot, just a 5 mile radius. It works when its wants too.
__________________
I don't know what to put here.
spillproof is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 06:07 PM   #8
twoodcc
macrumors P6
 
twoodcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Right side of wrong
Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
not a bad ad.
__________________
tville
Smarter than the average bear
twoodcc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 06:15 PM   #9
creon
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Some of these apps i find use but some of them just make me shake my head.
Would I use it for a game of golf? No.

Is it a good idea? Yes.

Its apps like this and many others that make people buy an iPhone. Its a great phone but the apps make it THE phone to buy.
__________________
8g iPhone 3g 2.4 Aluminum MacBook 4g iPod Nano 8g iPod Touch
creon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 06:51 PM   #10
Gurtz
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Just noticing here. There is a change in time.
The first (I think) three ads showed the time as 9:43 AM.
All other adds have show the time 9:42 AM on iPhone as it was the time when iPhone was announced at MacWorld.
This add shows 7:42 AM for some reason.
__________________
Nom nom nom, Apple
Gurtz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 06:52 PM   #11
Bronco46
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Petoskey, MI
Good Grief Tennis!
How about a sport with many many more fans, like Nascar. It would seem to me you should lead with sports that have the largest fan base, football, hockey are other good examples. Tennis!?
Bronco46 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 09:11 PM   #12
sizzlingbadger
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco46 View Post
Good Grief Tennis!
How about a sport with many many more fans, like Nascar. It would seem to me you should lead with sports that have the largest fan base, football, hockey are other good examples. Tennis!?
Nascar... aren't you forgetting about the rest of the world
sizzlingbadger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 09:18 PM   #13
fpnc
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpnc View Post
Since the iPhone's GPS is only accurate to about +/- 50 feet (at best) I can't see how anyone would spend $30 for the Golf GPS app.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphones4evry1 View Post
...Absolutely incorrect. Maybe it depends on where you live, but when I walk from one side of my house to the other, if I walk into my backyard or out to my car, my GPS blue dot moves and is accurate +/- 25 feet. (no, I do not live in a mansion, a normal middle-class size house). When I'm outdoors (not in a building), it is even more accurate, maybe +/- 15 feet. I'm being totally serious, and I've tested this many times using the satellite view in maps. Like I said, maybe it varies based on where you live, but in my area, it's surprisingly accurate. I've used the GPS pin to find my car numerous times in parking lots, and sometimes it's literally dead-on accurate, and sometimes it is off by about 20 feet. It varies from time to time.
Civilian GPS are generally only accurate to +/- 15 meters with some of the newer devices capable of perhaps +/- 5 meters (see wikipedia). The fact that you find situations that are better than that is just a "luck of the draw." In fact, you could find some situations where it appears "dead" accurate but that is only because it has to fall somewhere within the +/- accuracy range of the device. It's not always going to be off by exactly 15 meters, if it were you could just apply that as a correction factor. Now, if you set a waypoint (or map pin/flag) to your current location then the GPS will generally get you back pretty close to that point only because the "error" will be similar on both trials (if they are separated by only a short period of time). However, returning to a user-set waypoint is a completely different situation than placing you accurately at a given point on the surface of the earth (such as on a map or a map of a golf course). Besides, maps will have their own errors which could range from a few feet (at best) to tens of feet. The net is that when you combine the GPS error with the map errors you could be off by a hundred feet or you could be very close to the true position (but you'll never know for sure, that's the nature of a random error).

As for the iPhone's GPS, I've seen several posts that suggest that its accuracy really isn't on par with the best of the civilian GPS systems. Thus, don't try to hold up my previous statement about +/- 5 meters as evidence that the iPhone can accurately place you on a map to that precision. The +/- 15 meters is a good rule of thumb, sometimes you'll be better than that, sometimes you may even be worse. Further, if you try one of the GPS apps like MotionX GPS you'll see that they report an accuracy figure and that value will generally be around 50 feet (at best) even when they report a good GPS signal. I can also report that the accuracy of the CoPilot Live turn-by-turn GPS app for the iPhone seems to range between +/- 50 yards (but that's a combined GPS and map error within a moving vehicle).

Whether such accuracy (or lack thereof) in a golf GPS app is a critical factor is debatable. Sometimes it could be an aid, other times not.
fpnc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 02:56 AM   #14
iphones4evry1
macrumors 65816
 
iphones4evry1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: California, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpnc View Post
Civilian GPS are generally only accurate to +/- 15 meters with some of the newer devices capable of perhaps +/- 5 meters (see wikipedia). The fact that you find situations that are better than that is just a "luck of the draw." In fact, you could find some situations where it appears "dead" accurate but that is only because it has to fall somewhere within the +/- accuracy range of the device. It's not always going to be off by exactly 15 meters, if it were you could just apply that as a correction factor. Now, if you set a waypoint (or map pin/flag) to your current location then the GPS will generally get you back pretty close to that point only because the "error" will be similar on both trials (if they are separated by only a short period of time). However, returning to a user-set waypoint is a completely different situation than placing you accurately at a given point on the surface of the earth (such as on a map or a map of a golf course). Besides, maps will have their own errors which could range from a few feet (at best) to tens of feet. The net is that when you combine the GPS error with the map errors you could be off by a hundred feet or you could be very close to the true position (but you'll never know for sure, that's the nature of a random error).

As for the iPhone's GPS, I've seen several posts that suggest that its accuracy really isn't on par with the best of the civilian GPS systems. Thus, don't try to hold up my previous statement about +/- 5 meters as evidence that the iPhone can accurately place you on a map to that precision. The +/- 15 meters is a good rule of thumb, sometimes you'll be better than that, sometimes you may even be worse. Further, if you try one of the GPS apps like MotionX GPS you'll see that they report an accuracy figure and that value will generally be around 50 feet (at best) even when they report a good GPS signal. I can also report that the accuracy of the CoPilot Live turn-by-turn GPS app for the iPhone seems to range between +/- 50 yards (but that's a combined GPS and map error within a moving vehicle).

Whether such accuracy (or lack thereof) in a golf GPS app is a critical factor is debatable. Sometimes it could be an aid, other times not.
I know what you mean. I've read many times that civilian GPS accuracy is limited. I'm just telling you what I have experienced. I understand what you mean about +/- 15 meters being a range (I seem to recall that this range was revised to +/- 10 meters about a year ago). So, I'll just say that only about 1/3 of the time is my GPS inaccurate by more than 5 meters. 2/3 of the time, it is accurate to 5 meters or less. Of course, this is when I am outdoors or in a wooden house. If I'm in a steel-framed building or in other areas that may interfere, it is less accurate. This is my own experience and I'm sure it depends a lot on where you live. I am just as surprised as you are about how accurate my iPhone's GPS is. I had never expected it to be this accurate. I must have gotten lucky or something.
iphones4evry1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 03:53 AM   #15
MacBacker
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Left Coast, USA
I also love how Apple chooses Matt Costa's "Mr. Pitiful" as the music to all of this year's commercials. Its so catchy!
__________________
64GB Gold iPhone 5S, 13" MacBook Air, 15" MacBook Pro, 15" PowerBook Pro, 16GB iPod Nano (6th generation), 160GB Black iPod Classic
MacBacker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 01:51 PM   #16
stevelaw
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Golf App works well

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpnc View Post
Since the iPhone's GPS is only accurate to about +/- 50 feet (at best) I can't see how anyone would spend $30 for the Golf GPS app.
I have been using the golf app for about a month and have been pleasantly surprised at how well it works. Accuracy is usually within a yard or two of my friend's $400 "SkyCaddie" golf GPS unit. I also have a laser rangefinder, and the app is usually within a couple of yards (often exactly the same) as the yardage I get on the rangefinder. The aerial view feature of the app also is useful for courses you have not played, as it will reveal sand traps and hazards that might not be visible from where you are standing.

The app does suck up battery life, and takes at least 10-15 seconds to acquire satellites after powered back up. If I disable 3g, bluetooth, wi-fi, push or fetch email, and dim the screen a little, I can last 18 holes with enough power to spare for the ride home (iPhone 3Gs).

My experience with the app is not unique - just take a look at the many positive ratings at the app store.
stevelaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 05:54 PM   #17
fpnc
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelaw View Post
I have been using the golf app for about a month and have been pleasantly surprised at how well it works. Accuracy is usually within a yard or two of my friend's $400 "SkyCaddie" golf GPS unit...
Do you have to set a GPS fix or do a calibration setting at every tee-off point? If so, that would help to reduce map and short-term errors in the GPS. In any case, the fact that it agrees with another GPS isn't that surprising (both could suffer similar errors) but if it comes to within a few yards of a laser rangefinder that is a completely different finding. Don't they periodically move the pin on the greens and how can the GPS take that into consideration?
fpnc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 10:10 PM   #18
applealex
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: California
Send a message via AIM to applealex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurtz View Post
Just noticing here. There is a change in time.
The first (I think) three ads showed the time as 9:43 AM.
All other adds have show the time 9:42 AM on iPhone as it was the time when iPhone was announced at MacWorld.
This add shows 7:42 AM for some reason.
I didn't notice

when the iPhone was first announced Steve Jobs showed a picture of the lock screen with the time 9:41AM. and many commercials carried the time but some has 7:10 others had 1:13 and one had 10:23

I guess they looked back at the tapes and concluded that Steve messed up and announced the iPhone one minute late and started using 9:42AM

I've always wondered how they always get it to have 9:42. do they hack it?. do they just go and change the time?
applealex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 12:47 PM   #19
stevelaw
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpnc View Post
Do you have to set a GPS fix or do a calibration setting at every tee-off point? If so, that would help to reduce map and short-term errors in the GPS. In any case, the fact that it agrees with another GPS isn't that surprising (both could suffer similar errors) but if it comes to within a few yards of a laser rangefinder that is a completely different finding. Don't they periodically move the pin on the greens and how can the GPS take that into consideration?
Re GPS fix, you hit a "start round" button at the begiining of the round and select the course you are playing. At that point it acquires the gps satellites and pulls up the first hole. My comment re comparison to another GPS device was more related to relative cost than to relative accuracy.

I too was surprised re the comparison to my rangefinder, although don't get me wrong - it can often be off by 3 or 4 yards. I suck too much at golf for that difference to be significant. Laser is good for actual distance to the pin. The GPS gives you front / rear of green and you need to interpolate based upon pin position. When I compared laser to GPS, I was looking at distance to hazards or traps, which is a closer fix.

I still have been pleasantly surprised by the GPS. I sill carry the laser because of the ability to get distances to various landmarks that might not show up on the gps program, for example the distance to a certain tree when I am trying to lay up and don't want to overhit the ball.

Finally, it lets me continue to be a gadget freak even when I am playing golf. Now if I could just improve my game a little more .............
stevelaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Releases First iPhone 5s Television Ad MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 135 Oct 22, 2013 04:22 AM
Apple Releases New 'Designed Together' Ad for iPhone 5c and iOS 7 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 148 Oct 18, 2013 04:04 PM
Apple Releases New 'Greetings' Ads for iPhone 5c MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 35 Oct 2, 2013 02:13 PM
Apple Releases New iPhone 5c 'Plastic Perfected' Ad MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 296 Sep 19, 2013 11:34 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC