Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kinkster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
I use Unison for usenet downloading. However I often have GBs of media lined up to download, so when i want to download something quickly from usenet, I have to wait a long while for all of it to finish. The program doesn't make it easy to put something towards the front.

So, is there any way to run two instances of this app? One for long term downloads, and one to fire up when I need something quick.

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
You could always make a new user account on your computer and run 'em both at the same time. :p

Or just

open -na /Applications/Xxxxxxxx.app in terminal.

kinkster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
Ah thanks. If i made that into an apple script would the code be the same? Or would that way be a problem because they'd both be reffering to the same settings/prefs(and thus the same list of things their supposed to download)?

Could I simply rename one instance of the application and then it'd be perfect?

occamsrazor

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
I believe what you want is either "Launch as User" or more likely "Peek-o-Matic" applescripts witten by Andreas Schuderer:

http://www.schuderer.net/scripts.shtml

I used to use Peek-o-Matic to run two simultaneous instances of Skype. It worked great. You do need to setup a second user account, but after that it's just like opening a second application... you can even copy the icon of the application to the applescript to make it look more similar. The second instance will have separate preferences as it stores them in the second user account.

Hope this helps....

EDIT: You'll also find some discussion of this here - it's about running two instances of Skype but the principles are the same. That said, Peek-o-Matic is the easiest and best way in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.