Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omid1356

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2009
I wanted to buy one of those iBook G3 white for my 3 year old. You know, the one's that came in the white color. I've been having a hard time locating one. I've looked on eBay and have really only been able to find the torn up "sold as is" or "just for parts" notebooks. I'd prefer to find one in half decent condition preferably wireless ready. (Although, I'm new to the whole Mac world, and am not really sure if it the wireless works like a PC, just turn it on and go with the wireless router I already have set up or if I have to get something else as well). Anyway, I didn't know if there was a website or something that sold older Mac notebooks.iI foun the really good and helpful one.

http://www.macpalace.com/Scripts/default.asp

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
If you can find an iBook G3 that hasn't succumbed to the video issues that were widespread on that model, that is a very rare computer indeed. Very few of those still work.

You'll have better luck finding a 12" G4 iBook...those are still plenty cheap.

kpac

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2009
iBook G3 might not be your best option

Hi!

I think it's a great idea to buy an old iBook for your daughter. It's awesome for children now to have access to the wonderful world that is internet (with some supervision...)of course. However, if you want her to be able to play some games on the internet, watch youtube videos and other similar stuff, that will probably not work well on an iBook g3. The point is that, in my opinion, you need a computer that has at least 10.4 (Tiger) as operating system to work properly on the internet and for most other applications. Plus, you mentioned you were interested in a wireless enable computer... iBook G3 don't all include a wireless card, and those that do includes a card that uses old wireless technology (not that much of an issue though...) I believe, just an opinion, that you should definitely look into an iBook G4 instead. I am sure they are still plenty around for sales on websites like ebay and craigslist and you will get a computer that can still work for a few years!! Look carefully at the specs though because not all G4 model are the same! Some of them didn't include a wireless card also!

good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.