Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
So I already posted in a thread to sell my machine… because I want a more portable machine.

The MacBook Pro is an excellent machine by all means, but again I want a more portable laptop. The only thing I'll be doing on it is taking it to classes to take notes, surf the web; maybe watch a few movies when I don't have access to my desktop.

Now the issue is, will the machine be powerful enough at the same time? I'll be buying the 2.13GHz model. It will be bought at the Apple Store, so I guess I'll have the SSD as well.

What's the average battery life I should expect out of this machine?

Would a 13" MacBook be a better choice in any way?

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
So I already posted in a thread to sell my machine… because I want a more portable machine.

The MacBook Pro is an excellent machine by all means, but again I want a more portable laptop. The only thing I'll be doing on it is taking it to classes to take notes, surf the web; maybe watch a few movies when I don't have access to my desktop.

Now the issue is, will the machine be powerful enough at the same time? I'll be buying the 2.13GHz model. It will be bought at the Apple Store, so I guess I'll have the SSD as well.

What's the average battery life I should expect out of this machine?

Would a 13" MacBook be a better choice in any way?

A 13" MB(pro) would give you less heat, more battery life and more ports. It would be more expandable in terms of RAM and 2.5" drive. So there are a lot of ways it would be a better choice.

That said, the Air is a phenomenal portable machine. With a SSD it feels every bit as fast and snappy as a much more powerful machine. It will certainly be enough machine for the task you mentioned and more. Its screen is a nice 'glossy' without being 'glassy' like the current MBP models. You should expect 3.5 to 4 hours of moderate use from it. (safari with a bunch of tabs, wifi on, screen at 1/3 - 1/2 brightness)

Dont waste your money buying it new, or buying the 2.13 machine. Buy from Apple refurb and buy the 1.8/128gb SSD model. The 2.13 will almost never be running at its full speed due to the thermal management in the MBA and the deals on refurbs are awesome right now.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
A 13" MB(pro) would give you less heat, more battery life and more ports. It would be more expandable in terms of RAM and 2.5" drive. So there are a lot of ways it would be a better choice.

That said, the Air is a phenomenal portable machine. With a SSD it feels every bit as fast and snappy as a much more powerful machine. It will certainly be enough machine for the task you mentioned and more. Its screen is a nice 'glossy' without being 'glassy' like the current MBP models. You should expect 3.5 to 4 hours of moderate use from it. (safari with a bunch of tabs, wifi on, screen at 1/3 - 1/2 brightness)

Dont waste your money buying it new, or buying the 2.13 machine. Buy from Apple refurb and buy the 1.8/128gb SSD model. The 2.13 will almost never be running at its full speed due to the thermal management in the MBA and the deals on refurbs are awesome right now.

Thanks for your response and some I've found via other threads, it would appear the latest model is a fine choice for my needs.

Yes I know the 13" MB is a better choice in terms of value/performance, but I didn't sell my 15" MBP just to shave half a pound of weight; when I meant I need the portability, I really meant it.

As with buying refurbished, getting the 1.86GHz model, etc. I'm buying it from the Apple [Retail] Store and whatever they sell are the choices I have. I know I often recommend refurbished computers for those who wish to save money, but I'd never buy a refurbished computer myself. I love the retail experience.

Anyways I set up an appoint with Personal Shopping and I'll let the salesperson convince me what to buy.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
I think, as your sole computer, a MacBook Pro 13" is the best option for so many reasons that have already been said in the forums.

The Macbook Air is a wonderful machine that makes me proud to be a Mac user and happy and set free and portable! I feel great using the MBA and it's a pleasure to use.

With that said, I have a 17" MacBook Pro that i use daily at my desk and it's fantastic. If I had to choose, I'd keep the 17" The MacBook Air rocks but it doesn't beat a full featured, upgradeable machine

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
That's good to hear another happy MacBook Air user; since it's my secondary machine to be used only 30% of the time, I think it'll be fine.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
That's good to hear another happy MacBook Air user; since it's my secondary machine to be used only 30% of the time, I think it'll be fine.

I do too. I just cringe to think of how much extra you are spending to get one in store from the 'personal shopper'.

You know what you want already. What is there for a personal shopper to do here?

The fact that a 2.13 machine will spend the vast majority of its time clocked lower is indisputable and even locked to full speed (which would melt either machine) the difference is barely noticeable. ~13% or so.

There is no other difference. Spending $1799 for the privilege of having the 'new' machine strikes me as silly when the exact same 2.13 machine is $1550 refurbed and the 1.86 machine that will be identical in performance is $1350.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
There is no other difference. Spending $1799 for the privilege of having the 'new' machine strikes me as silly when the exact same 2.13 machine is $1550 refurbed and the 1.86 machine that will be identical in performance is $1350.

After a student discount and iPod rebate the difference in price isn't even that significant anymore. I appreaciate everyone telling me ways to save money and how to do it, but I usually know how to do that. I just wanted to know if the MacBook Air has a good battery and decent enough performance really.

And it's not silly to only buy new at all; it's just personal preference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.