Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 25, 2009, 08:47 PM   #1
alphaod
macrumors Core
 
alphaod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 上海 (Shanghai)
Should I be getting a MacBook Air to replace my MacBook Pro?

So I already posted in a thread to sell my machine… because I want a more portable machine.

The MacBook Pro is an excellent machine by all means, but again I want a more portable laptop. The only thing I'll be doing on it is taking it to classes to take notes, surf the web; maybe watch a few movies when I don't have access to my desktop.

Now the issue is, will the machine be powerful enough at the same time? I'll be buying the 2.13GHz model. It will be bought at the Apple Store, so I guess I'll have the SSD as well.

What's the average battery life I should expect out of this machine?

Would a 13" MacBook be a better choice in any way?
__________________
Mac Pro | iMac | Mac mini | MacBook Pro | MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod
alphaod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 12:21 AM   #2
Mactagonist
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NYC - Manhattan
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
So I already posted in a thread to sell my machine… because I want a more portable machine.

The MacBook Pro is an excellent machine by all means, but again I want a more portable laptop. The only thing I'll be doing on it is taking it to classes to take notes, surf the web; maybe watch a few movies when I don't have access to my desktop.

Now the issue is, will the machine be powerful enough at the same time? I'll be buying the 2.13GHz model. It will be bought at the Apple Store, so I guess I'll have the SSD as well.

What's the average battery life I should expect out of this machine?

Would a 13" MacBook be a better choice in any way?
A 13" MB(pro) would give you less heat, more battery life and more ports. It would be more expandable in terms of RAM and 2.5" drive. So there are a lot of ways it would be a better choice.

That said, the Air is a phenomenal portable machine. With a SSD it feels every bit as fast and snappy as a much more powerful machine. It will certainly be enough machine for the task you mentioned and more. Its screen is a nice 'glossy' without being 'glassy' like the current MBP models. You should expect 3.5 to 4 hours of moderate use from it. (safari with a bunch of tabs, wifi on, screen at 1/3 - 1/2 brightness)

Dont waste your money buying it new, or buying the 2.13 machine. Buy from Apple refurb and buy the 1.8/128gb SSD model. The 2.13 will almost never be running at its full speed due to the thermal management in the MBA and the deals on refurbs are awesome right now.
__________________
Mac Mini, Dell u3011, Synology DS813+, Xbox 360, iPad Air LTE, iPhone 5S, NEX-6!
Mactagonist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 01:03 AM   #3
alphaod
Thread Starter
macrumors Core
 
alphaod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 上海 (Shanghai)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactagonist View Post
A 13" MB(pro) would give you less heat, more battery life and more ports. It would be more expandable in terms of RAM and 2.5" drive. So there are a lot of ways it would be a better choice.

That said, the Air is a phenomenal portable machine. With a SSD it feels every bit as fast and snappy as a much more powerful machine. It will certainly be enough machine for the task you mentioned and more. Its screen is a nice 'glossy' without being 'glassy' like the current MBP models. You should expect 3.5 to 4 hours of moderate use from it. (safari with a bunch of tabs, wifi on, screen at 1/3 - 1/2 brightness)

Dont waste your money buying it new, or buying the 2.13 machine. Buy from Apple refurb and buy the 1.8/128gb SSD model. The 2.13 will almost never be running at its full speed due to the thermal management in the MBA and the deals on refurbs are awesome right now.
Thanks for your response and some I've found via other threads, it would appear the latest model is a fine choice for my needs.

Yes I know the 13" MB is a better choice in terms of value/performance, but I didn't sell my 15" MBP just to shave half a pound of weight; when I meant I need the portability, I really meant it.

As with buying refurbished, getting the 1.86GHz model, etc. I'm buying it from the Apple [Retail] Store and whatever they sell are the choices I have. I know I often recommend refurbished computers for those who wish to save money, but I'd never buy a refurbished computer myself. I love the retail experience.

Anyways I set up an appoint with Personal Shopping and I'll let the salesperson convince me what to buy.
__________________
Mac Pro | iMac | Mac mini | MacBook Pro | MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod
alphaod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 03:09 AM   #4
adamjackson
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canaan, NH
I think, as your sole computer, a MacBook Pro 13" is the best option for so many reasons that have already been said in the forums.

The Macbook Air is a wonderful machine that makes me proud to be a Mac user and happy and set free and portable! I feel great using the MBA and it's a pleasure to use.

With that said, I have a 17" MacBook Pro that i use daily at my desk and it's fantastic. If I had to choose, I'd keep the 17" The MacBook Air rocks but it doesn't beat a full featured, upgradeable machine
__________________
27" iMac i7 w/ 3TB Fusion, 24GB Ram
MacBook Air 13" Core i7 - Maxed Out
iPad Air 32GB + Verizon
iPhone 5 32GB Verizon
adamjackson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 08:14 AM   #5
alphaod
Thread Starter
macrumors Core
 
alphaod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 上海 (Shanghai)
That's good to hear another happy MacBook Air user; since it's my secondary machine to be used only 30% of the time, I think it'll be fine.
__________________
Mac Pro | iMac | Mac mini | MacBook Pro | MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod
alphaod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 08:38 AM   #6
Mactagonist
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NYC - Manhattan
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
That's good to hear another happy MacBook Air user; since it's my secondary machine to be used only 30% of the time, I think it'll be fine.
I do too. I just cringe to think of how much extra you are spending to get one in store from the 'personal shopper'.

You know what you want already. What is there for a personal shopper to do here?

The fact that a 2.13 machine will spend the vast majority of its time clocked lower is indisputable and even locked to full speed (which would melt either machine) the difference is barely noticeable. ~13% or so.

There is no other difference. Spending $1799 for the privilege of having the 'new' machine strikes me as silly when the exact same 2.13 machine is $1550 refurbed and the 1.86 machine that will be identical in performance is $1350.
__________________
Mac Mini, Dell u3011, Synology DS813+, Xbox 360, iPad Air LTE, iPhone 5S, NEX-6!
Mactagonist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 10:05 AM   #7
alphaod
Thread Starter
macrumors Core
 
alphaod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 上海 (Shanghai)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactagonist View Post
There is no other difference. Spending $1799 for the privilege of having the 'new' machine strikes me as silly when the exact same 2.13 machine is $1550 refurbed and the 1.86 machine that will be identical in performance is $1350.
After a student discount and iPod rebate the difference in price isn't even that significant anymore. I appreaciate everyone telling me ways to save money and how to do it, but I usually know how to do that. I just wanted to know if the MacBook Air has a good battery and decent enough performance really.

And it's not silly to only buy new at all; it's just personal preference.
__________________
Mac Pro | iMac | Mac mini | MacBook Pro | MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod
alphaod is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My MacBook pro early 2008 will not boot. Someone please help. macthak MacBook Pro 6 Dec 15, 2011 02:21 AM
When is apple obligated to replace my MacBook pro? xMBPx MacBook Pro 27 Jul 1, 2011 04:16 PM
Macbook Air faster than my Macbook Pro... fps MacBook Pro 7 Jan 6, 2011 05:41 PM
Apple refuse to replace my MacBook pro 15"....help. jz2k MacBook Pro 45 Dec 22, 2007 10:49 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC