Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miTunes75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2006
I have never had to do this before. The wife bought a DVD movie for our daughter which has a digital copy. She thought I'd be able to place it on the :apple:TV. What she failed to realize is that the superdrive on my mac mini has crapped out and spits anything out I put in there. So.......

Can I place the digital copy dvd in a PC and have the movie placed on a flash drive, then install on the mac? What I don't understand is at what point does the dvd required you to put in the activation code, etc. OR, is it that once I get that dvd ripped, I'm stuck watching the digital copy on the pc only?

Thanks for the help.

bond007hmss

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
The digital copy is actually done through iTunes and the DVD combined (itunes unlocks the copy on the disc) and is then tied to a specific iTunes account. You're only limited to the number of computers specified by the EULA, so you should be able to dump the .m4v onto a flash drive and import it into iTunes on your Mac. You may just be asked for your account name and password the 1st time you play it to authorize it on a new computer.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
I have never done it on a Windows-based computer, but Digital Copy can be a Windows Media DRM file.

UnseenLlama

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
I have never had to do this before. The wife bought a DVD movie for our daughter which has a digital copy. She thought I'd be able to place it on the :apple:TV. What she failed to realize is that the superdrive on my mac mini has crapped out and spits anything out I put in there. So.......

Can I place the digital copy dvd in a PC and have the movie placed on a flash drive, then install on the mac? What I don't understand is at what point does the dvd required you to put in the activation code, etc. OR, is it that once I get that dvd ripped, I'm stuck watching the digital copy on the pc only?

Thanks for the help.

If you are using the same iTunes account on the PC as you are with your Mac, then you can download the digital file on the PC and transfer it over to your Mac. iTunes doesn't really rip from the DigitalFile disc, it downloads it from the iTunes server.

salohcin

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
If you are using the same iTunes account on the PC as you are with your Mac, then you can download the digital file on the PC and transfer it over to your Mac. iTunes doesn't really rip from the DigitalFile disc, it downloads it from the iTunes server.

Actually it doesn't download it. I does take it directly from the disc. It just looks like a download since there is now other good way to display the process in iTunes. I know because there is no way that 4 Gigs can be downloaded in 15 minutes on my crappy internet connection. It would take me a good 6 hours or more to move that much data.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Actually it doesn't download it. I does take it directly from the disc. It just looks like a download since there is now other good way to display the process in iTunes. I know because there is no way that 4 Gigs can be downloaded in 15 minutes on my crappy internet connection. It would take me a good 6 hours or more to move that much data.

iTunes movies are only about 1.5-2.0 gigs (SD) which the digital copies are currently.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
I have never done it on a Windows-based computer, but Digital Copy can be a Windows Media DRM file.
True, but not Disney digital copies. They are done through iTunes on both Mac and PC.

iTunes movies are only about 1.5-2.0 gigs (SD) which the digital copies are currently.

The original point however still stands. iTunes "downloads" the digital copy from the disc, not from the iTunes store.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
True, but not Disney digital copies. They are done through iTunes on both Mac and PC.

The original point however still stands. iTunes "downloads" the digital copy from the disc, not from the iTunes store.

Thanks for the clarification.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.