Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FasterSoonerNow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Sorry if this is an idiotic question, but do ALL 17" Powerbooks come with the backlit keyboard? I mean simple, stock models you buy at the Apple Store or even other vendors like CompUSA.

The reason I'm asking is because I work at CompUSA, and could purchase the PB at store cost/what the store pays for it.

I thought the backlight keyboard was grey/blackish in color? When I was at the Apple store once, by the Genius bar.. there was one with a different colored keyboard.. I assumed THAT was the backlit model. But do they come in the standard silver color as well?

In otherwords, do ALL 17" Powerbooks have a backlit display?

Also... Is it possible to replace the stock 64 MB video memory with a 128 card yourself? Can the apple store do it for you? Or MUST it be built to order/not able to be self installed?

Finally, is it also possible to put in your own harddrive? Perhaps even faster than the 5200 rpm model.

Lots of questions.. sorry everyone... Any help is appreciated.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
All seventeens have the backlit keyboard. The 128mb video card is bto only. You can replace the harddrive, but it will void your warrenty. But the stock 17" is still a sweet computer, and if you can get it at a good price, I say go for it.

FasterSoonerNow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
yoda13 said:
All seventeens have the backlit keyboard. The 128mb video card is bto only. You can replace the harddrive, but it will void your warrenty. But the stock 17" is still a sweet computer, and if you can get it at a good price, I say go for it.

Eeek.. But I do enjoy playing games. I dont know if the 64MB card will hold up.

There's just absolutely no way to put another one in?

This is such a tough situation... Buy the 17" now, lose some power in the video card.. but get a few hundred dollars off...

Or wait and get it from Apple for full price with just that one spec changed. (and a 5400 rpm drive) (well, educational discount, but i dont know if it would be quite as much off)

FasterSoonerNow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
One more question.. is it true that certain stores HAVE the upgraded VRAM model for sale?

If that's so, we very well may have it.

Unless only the Apple store occasionally does that.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
check out barefeats.com for benchmarks for the difference between the two cards. you might be surprised. Some apple stores are stocking a few of the 128 computers I have heard, but have not personally verified this. You can order from some other companies with the new card online too, but all they do is bto from apple for you.

unregbaron

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2002
FasterSoonerNow said:
One more question.. is it true that certain stores HAVE the upgraded VRAM model for sale?

If that's so, we very well may have it.

Unless only the Apple store occasionally does that.

Yes I was pleasantly surprised to see for one that Micro Anvika in the UK http://www.anvika.com does stock the 15" PB with 128mb and faster HD etc. though no mention i don;t think on their site...

I survived last week without buying it (currently a 400mhz pismo) but not sure confident about this week

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.