Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
Hey all. I'm here to complain about Apple, the industry leader in industrial design.

Apple's had some of the most innovative, utilitarian designs ever seen in the arena of personal computing.

However, has anyone seen a Powerbook power supply? Of course you have, and if you're like me, you've wept.

It's bulky in all the wrong places. When you plug it in, it sags under its own weight. Every time I plug it in, it sparks. In the past, I've also had mixed results with various outlets. I have to plug it in a couple of times, jiggle it around, and whatnot to get it to actually transmit the current to my Powerbook. And often, it will eventually spontaneously stop charging. Usually, it ends up losing the contact, begins sparking, and then stops carrying the current.

"Fortunately," the sparking is usually not visible, but rather that loud and foreboding sparking noise. It still doesn't make me feel too comfortable, of course.

Now, my power supply won't even charge the Powerbook if simply plugged into a wall. It can only make a loose contact. Therefore, I have plugged into the wall and jammed it tightly between the wall and a big amplifier I have, just to force it to stay in place. This has been quite successful, but it kind of defeats the purpose of having a mobile device. I'm planning to go to the Apple Store and getting them to replace it. It might be that mine is more defective than most, but I can't help thinking that this is chiefly the result of some critical design flaws.

1) As I alluded to above, the region near the plug is too heavy. Apple should have just put a plug there followed by wire that led to the heavier component. This way, the plug wouldn't sag as a result of the weight of the other component. If you'll notice, almost every other power supply is made in this fashion. All it requires is a simple translocation.

2) Taking my suggestion in one would fix this other problem, but it too is a flaw. That the plug swivels so that it can be returned to a position "within" the square when not being used seems ok, but it actually complicates matters. After regular use, that joint becomes loose. This only exacerbates the problem of losing contact under heavy weight.

Has anyone else had problems? Does anyone know of third-party makers of compatible power supplies? Apple has this proprietary input that precludes using any old equal-voltage power supply.

Plus, I kind of wanted to rant.

javabear90

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
Houston, TX
the clips that your supposed to wrap the wire around fell off and broke, so that sucks, I also have the sparking problem, and it is visible from an angle. However I think it is better than most other laptop chargers

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
im sorry to hear that you are having problems, and i hope apple can fix them for you, i have not had any problems with mine and nor has my gf we both have had our books for a year now.....you could always use the cord that came with the power adapter instead of always plugging it into the wall since this seems to be what you want anyways, i like the fact that i can change from a moble adapter to a longer stay-at-home cord

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
themadchemist said:
Hey all. I'm here to complain about Apple, the industry leader in industrial design.

Apple's had some of the most innovative, utilitarian designs ever seen in the arena of personal computing.

However, has anyone seen a Powerbook power supply? Of course you have, and if you're like me, you've wept.

It's bulky in all the wrong places. When you plug it in, it sags under its own weight. Every time I plug it in, it sparks. In the past, I've also had mixed results with various outlets. I have to plug it in a couple of times, jiggle it around, and whatnot to get it to actually transmit the current to my Powerbook. And often, it will eventually spontaneously stop charging. Usually, it ends up losing the contact, begins sparking, and then stops carrying the current.

That's weird - mine doesn't have any of those problems. Plus the design makes it easier for me to travel with.

"Fortunately," the sparking is usually not visible, but rather that loud and foreboding sparking noise. It still doesn't make me feel too comfortable, of course.

Now, my power supply won't even charge the Powerbook if simply plugged into a wall. It can only make a loose contact. Therefore, I have plugged into the wall and jammed it tightly between the wall and a big amplifier I have, just to force it to stay in place. This has been quite successful, but it kind of defeats the purpose of having a mobile device. I'm planning to go to the Apple Store and getting them to replace it. It might be that mine is more defective than most, but I can't help thinking that this is chiefly the result of some critical design flaws.

1) As I alluded to above, the region near the plug is too heavy. Apple should have just put a plug there followed by wire that led to the heavier component. This way, the plug wouldn't sag as a result of the weight of the other component. If you'll notice, almost every other power supply is made in this fashion. All it requires is a simple translocation.

2) Taking my suggestion in one would fix this other problem, but it too is a flaw. That the plug swivels so that it can be returned to a position "within" the square when not being used seems ok, but it actually complicates matters. After regular use, that joint becomes loose. This only exacerbates the problem of losing contact under heavy weight.

Has anyone else had problems? Does anyone know of third-party makers of compatible power supplies? Apple has this proprietary input that precludes using any old equal-voltage power supply.

Plus, I kind of wanted to rant.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
PlaceofDis said:
you could always use the cord that came with the power adapter instead of always plugging it into the wall since this seems to be what you want anyways, i like the fact that i can change from a moble adapter to a longer stay-at-home cord

which cord do you mean? I'm going to go check my box in the morning. I don't quite know to which cord you are referring. Thanks for the suggestion, though. Hopefully, this cord that you refer to will work.

titaniumducky: I notice your sig expresses your desire to get an avatar. Just quoting the first post (especially when it's so long) and then not even actually posting anything isn't the way to boost post count. ;)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
with my powerbook (rev a 12") i got a cord that can be attached to the powerbrick, and is removable so that the moble adapter can be put on instead they talk about it here

i hope this helps clarify what cord i was talking about, and i think its what you would want because then the brick wont be directly connected to the wall

good luck

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
Yea I just have mine plugged in with the extension cord. The white box thing has never actually been plugged into the outlet.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
crazzyeddie said:
All Powerbooks come with that extension cable, maybe iBooks too?

my ibook came with it.....some people don't realize that the wall plug thing is removable from the power block. Replace it with the extension cord and you wont have the power block hanging off the wall outlet

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
themadchemist said:
awesome, folks. thanks for being so responsive to my rant, and so rapidly at that. This why I love this site. :D

Australian PowerBook adapters use a completely different design for the plug-in head which connects directly to the wall socket, and don't suffer from the problem you described. They are also packaged with an extension cord plug-in.

kjwebb

macrumors regular
May 19, 2003
Australia
I have noticed the sparking sound when I plug my iBook's Power adapter into the powerboard.

I don't like it but I have to ignore it as it is something that always happens with power supply's (especalliy phone and laptop power supplies) due to the power being always on.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
when i was on holiday in chicago, i took my powerbook and a UK -> US adaptor, and noticed that my powerbook adaptor did this aslo, it looks like its just the design of the US power outlets, the two spade connections are not very heavy duty.

In the uk, the adaptor that plugs into the brick then into the wall is almost as big as the adaptor itself, but because ALL sockets/plugs must be 3 pin (you cannot plug a 2 pin plug into ANY outlet) and must be fused at the plug, the earth pin tends to take the weight of the adaptor.

Also another design flaw with the adaptors, the plug that goes into the powerbook, mine is going, its been showing bare wires for some time now and am just waiting for it to fall off the plug completely and blow the fuse in the plug. and at £60+ a pop this isn't good.

grabberslasher

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2002
Éire
I'm on my fourth (!) power adapter. They've all worn out and the wire snapped with a combination of 240V sockets and crappy wiring.

Now on this one the plastic (rubber) has worn out and broken at the end you plug into the laptop and it's only being held together by its own wires. I need superglue or something...

kjwebb

macrumors regular
May 19, 2003
Australia
One crazy thing about my iBooks power adapter is that the plug that connects straight onto the power adapter, it has no earth, just the standard Australian (as I am Australian) / \ type plug.

The extension lead has an earth with and the
/ \
.|

Plug style (I did the text illiustrations for those who don't know what the Australian power plugs look like).

Interesting that Apple only added the earth on the extension lead.

BTW. The sparking sound doesn't always exist when I plug the adapter in, it usually happens when the iBook is on.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
you know you can just use any fig 8 plug as long as it has the right fuse i just made one out of an old one i had i cut it down to about 30cm so the plug can sit on the floor and not have a nest of wire next to it and it is easy to pack into my bag

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I never use the extension cord cuz I don't want to carry the extra thing around and it ruins the compactness of the adaptor. :eek: I haven't had trouble with it falling off the wall, though I could see it with really loose power plugs.

As far as sparking, I have a lot of wall warts that spark, usually what I do to be on the safe side is plug the adaptor into the wall first and then plug the computer / phone / whatever side into the phone, so that at least if there's a surge, it doesn't get to the device.

Does the spark damage the power adaptor? Granted that its not a nice thing in any event. ;)

Yuh

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2004
Sydney, Australia
I hate the compact adaptor, because it makes the fat "adaptor" bit sit below the level of the plug.... and at my uni, most of the powerpoints are on the wall at ground level... so i can't even plug it in.... i hope you kinda get what i mean... so i have to carry around the extension cable just to get around that problem.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
idea for improvement

I'd like to see a springloaded protector that slides down over the connector for when it's not plugged into the portable. So that when I've frogotten to put the cap on, then tread on it, it doesn't get damaged. I've seen this happen a lot. Yes I know they provide a beautifully fitting cap... who knows where mine is!

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I live in an older house, and some of the outlets that haven't been updated are very "loose." My power adapter falls out a lot, so I can only charge up in my room. I have more problems with the computer end of the cable though. I've found that when I'm using it in bed (on a pillow, for example) if anything touches the little power guy, it stops sending power to the book. I've never understood why Apple couldn't impliment a little lock-in kind of thing to keep the juices flowing.

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
iBook rather than PB

The only problem I have encountered is that I no longer get The Green Light of Goodness after it has filled itself to the brim with power.
It now just means I have to remember that it's still plugged in when there's no light.

Sadly that is about the only problem I have encounted with an Apple-portable power supply.

matthewr

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2004
I can't speak to the problems associated with the power brick style cord, but I am currently on my 5th power cord (yo-yo style) for my Pismo. Two were replaced by applecare (and those both involved sparking inside the cord sheath due to wear), and two I was able to scrounge from my brother, who has replaced his pismo with a 17 inch PB. The power cord has certainly been the weak link in my recent Apple experience.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
jacg said:
I'd like to see a springloaded protector that slides down over the connector for when it's not plugged into the portable. So that when I've frogotten to put the cap on, then tread on it, it doesn't get damaged. I've seen this happen a lot. Yes I know they provide a beautifully fitting cap... who knows where mine is!

The end that fits into the computer or the end that fits into the wall? The wall end of the US model folds back into the body of the adaptor so that its flush to the side of the body. On the computer side, the little thing that looks kinda like a headphone plug doesn't come with a cover at all, but I guess unless you step on it in shoes....

But maybe the UK one is quite different?

EDIT: I am always scared of applying pressure to the plug while its plugged into the computer, on the computer side, and either bending it, damaging the (female) connector on the computer or stressing the wire coming out of the plug body. I wish it were an elbow jack....

the.snitch

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2004
Auckland, NZ
Yea i have no probs with it here, i have the NZ adaptor (same as australia), and it seems to be the perfect balance between size and function. I had a UK one cos i brought th eibook in hong kong (they use UK plugs), but that was pretty darn big and looked ugly (its upside down!). Th eNZ one looks good when pluged in, but i have none of this sagging problem that the US-style gets. i also dont get any sparking :)

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
themadchemist said:

I'm not sure what your issues are with your power supply but I have none of the problems you mention. To speak to your first suggestion, my power supply came with an extra cord that easily swaps out with the wall plug transforming the power supply into the design you seem to want. Its plugs into the wall like any cord, the power supply ends up in the middle. No hanging from the wall problems, no sparking, none of that.

I have never had any problems with the wall mount plug and it falling out of the wall or the prongs becoming loose and exacerbating the problem. In fact I've often used the power supply completely upside down it hasn't fallen out.

No sparking problems here either. Have you tried plugging it in before you have it connected to the PB? I've never heard nor seen a spark from my power supply. Do you have old outlets in your house?

Sorry if I seem a little heavy handed here, but the suggestions you are making are already in existence. I'll take a picture of my power supply tonight so you can see the extension cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.