Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
One of the most frustrating things in the world, nay in the universe and all of its surrounding structures including Eden (excluding Hades) is to purchase something new only to see that same product line updated the following day/week/month to something more powerful than the sneeze impulse of Zeus's west nostril.

So, based on previous MBA cycle updates, availability of improved hardware, or other rumors, what would your guesses be as to whether or not we'll see an update, silent or otherwise, of the MBA this year?

Perhaps a slight processor bump? A 4 GB RAM module sneaked in, in time for the September 7 Apple event (which is traditionally iPods and Media only)? Something to coincide with Apple's October event (which may be the one the Tablet is unveiled)?

Or is the good money on nothing this year and an all-out update with Arrandale next year? Yes I know Scott, if there even is an update! (please don't shout at me :D )

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
I would think the next update would be H1 2010 with Arrandale. 4 GB then is quite likely.
I would tend to agree with this, but as we all know, it's just really a guess.

I want to get an Air, but I want 256GB SSD and 4GB RAM to come with it (even at a higher price)....and those lines to be gone.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Any ideas lads?

Let me ask another question, this one to Apple employees: Any ""guesses"" on when we'll see the next MBA?

I'm this close to a purchase. And if Rev D comes out next month well I'll have to emotionally injure my cat rather severely.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
I want to get an Air, but I want 256GB SSD and 4GB RAM to come with it (even at a higher price)....and those lines to be gone.
This is the thing - if those specs were in the MBA form factor I wouldn't even in my mind debate a 13" MBP VS MBA, it'd be a no-brainer for my purchase.

A nice little processor bump wouldn't go amiss either :D

My dream is for an Arrandale bump for the better thermals with the smaller process, but for it to have an Nvidia and not Intel's latest graphics offering.

Remains to be seen how this one'll play out.

joelypolly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
Bay Area
1h 2010

Here is hoping for 6GB of Ram (a pipe dream is more like it) and a 320gb SSD. That would be the perfect main machine

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
Yes, please keep posting this thread every 3 weeks or so. That'd just be great. Bonus points if you keep insisting that apple employees reply to your inane postings.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Yes, please keep posting this thread every 3 weeks or so. That'd just be great. Bonus points if you keep insisting that apple employees reply to your inane postings.
Why are a sizable proportion of people here, bar Ayeying and several others, utterly decrepit?

I swear it's like treading in an oap home :D

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Here is hoping for 6GB of Ram (a pipe dream is more like it) and a 320gb SSD. That would be the perfect main machine
320GB as in one of intel's x-18 m's? That would be sensational!

And like only a minority of people here it seems eg Scott, I think an MBA would be perfect as a main machine as it is. For my use anyway (and with a big external passport drive)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.