Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ooo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
For those of you upgrading your MBA on Friday to Snow Leopard, I'd love to know if your fan revs up to 6200rpm and if it ever drops back down even if it's just idling. It seems to be a bug on the Air.

bombardier.v2

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
For those of you upgrading your MBA on Friday to Snow Leopard, I'd love to know if your fan revs up to 6200rpm and if it ever drops back down even if it's just idling. It seems to be a bug on the Air.
Not just the Air - my fans are constantly at 6200rpm on a MacBook White 2.16 Core 2 Duo with 2G RAM - it's driving me mad! I hope there is a new SMC to address this soon!

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
My fan is on almost all the time with the final build - even if it's just sitting idle after viewing a simple web page in Safari.

Spyderturbo007

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2009
Mine runs exactly the same way it did before. With Leopard it was pretty much always around 2,500rpm. It's the same with Snow Leopard.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Users are reporting this issue on all the notebooks and even the mini's.

gman901

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
So what's the recommendation, install or wait? Are the folks who are experiencing fans running at full blast installing as an upgrade or are they doing a full clean install? I have a Family Pack coming this weekend and I was planning to upgrade my Air, my 2 Minis and my wife's MacBook.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Tbh I've done a clean install and my mini is still silent under all tasks.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Installed on my 09 15" MBP, and my GF's 08 Whitebook, fans stayed the same.

around 1995rpm for me (clean install)

around 2001rpm for her (upgrade)

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
No fan noise here on my 2.13 GHz rev C with SSD.

Why doesn't everyone report the exact MBA revision, CPU, and drive type so we can determine what is causing the issue.

I have to assume it's either Intel graphics on rev As. Or it's HDDs on rev B/C models? Or I guess it could be CPU clock speed on lower speed models?

Report Form:

AFFECTED: NO
MBA REV: C
CPU: Penryn SL9600 - 2.13 GHz
DRIVE: 128 GB SSD
CLEAN INSTALL OR UPGRADE: UPGRADE

bombardier.v2

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
You are a genius! Just done it on my MacBook White and it's now near silent again, sitting at around 1800rpm with just Safari running.

For those that need to know how to reset the SMC:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411
:-(
Only had my MacBook on for about 15 minutes last night when I reported this had worked. Got up this morning, and after another 15 minutes use the fans are ramping up again, 5800rpm and counting. Judging by the sound, I expect that by the time I finish this post they'll be back up to 6200rpm.

Activity Monitor shows no obvious hogs, and I only have Safari and Mail running, neither of which are using large amounts of RAM or CPU time.

iStat shows a gradual increase in the enclosure base heat but not any obvious increase from any of the other sensors. Edit: It also kicks the arse out of the battery, obviously.

Not sure what is going on with this, but it's definitely affecting many of the portable line up.

Report Form:

AFFECTED: YES
MODEL: MacBook White REV: C
CPU: 2.16 GHz Core2Duo
RAM: 2Gb
DRIVE: 250Gb HD
CLEAN INSTALL OR UPGRADE: UPGRADE

arpiuk

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2008
i have the same problem. fans going crazy. CPU temperature going upto 80 degrees, according to istats.

AFFECTED: YES
MBA
CPU: 1.86 Ghz
CLEAN INSTALL OR UPGRADE: Upgrade

bombardier.v2

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
OK, I think Spotlight is to blame here.

For those with runaway fans, using Activity Monitor, check 'All Processes' and see if you have 'mds' and/or 'java' as running processes using up to 70% CPU.

Spotless isn't working with SL yet, so I dragged my root drive into the Privacy Pane of the Spotlight Preferences and almost immediately both the mds and java processes tailed off and the fan has reduced back down to 1800rpm.

Next step is to take the drive out of privacy and see what happens after a full index. If the same thing happens I'll delete the Spotlight database manually through Terminal and let it index again.

I'll report back.

bombardier.v2

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
So, adding to the privacy pane and then removing caused a full index to take place, but strangely, while the indexing was being carried out, the fans didn't go that mental, in fact they weren't running very high at all. It was only when the indexing was finished that the fans ramped up again and the MacBook got really hot.

Next step was manually removing the .Spotlight-V100 folder, rebooting and letting it index again. Exactly the same result.

So it's not the Spotlight indexing being performed that is doing this, it's something funky going on with the finished index itself.

The only thing I can do at the moment is to keep it my boot drive in the privacy pane until a fix is released.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Report Form:

AFFECTED: No, not at all
MBA REV: C
CPU: 2.13 Ghz
CLEAN INSTALL OR UPGRADE: Clean, always

22diomedes

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2009
Users are reporting this issue on all the notebooks and even the mini's.

Yeah - I have a mini (Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM) and the fan has been very noisy since I upgraded to Leopard. iStat has also been off and on showing "iavd" as running at around 98% process. When it's not showing "iavd" the fan isn't being noisy. I noticed the SMC reset on the link one of you provided is for the laptops - any ideas on a fix for the mini?

bombardier.v2

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
Yeah - I have a mini (Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM) and the fan has been very noisy since I upgraded to Leopard. iStat has also been off and on showing "iavd" as running at around 98% process. When it's not showing "iavd" the fan isn't being noisy. I noticed the SMC reset on the link one of you provided is for the laptops - any ideas on a fix for the mini?
Google is your friend:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1543

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.