Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spyderturbo007

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2009
Currently, all of my music is stored on my desktop PC on a secondary HDD (G:\). I'm am syncing 2 iPhones and one iPod Touch and I have some questions.

When I purchased the iPhones, one for me and one for the wife, I set her up with a second user account on the PC. I had read that if we were both to try to sync to the same library I would be running into problems. I wanted both of us to have separate playlists, address books, notes, etc. My problem now is that we can't share music and applications without a bunch of extra work. For example, when I purchase a song on my iPhone, I have to manually add it to her library. I was also under the impression that we could share applications, so we didn't have to purchase two copies. Is that correct?

Also, when adding all the TV shows and movies I have saved, I have to do them manually and then set the info for each show so it matches mine and shows up in the right place.

Is there a way to fix this?

Also, I would like to move all my media to a NAS running RAID 1 just so I don't have to worry about a HDD crash. Is there a way to move all the media and library to the NAS and still be able to sync the iPhones and iPod Touch. I have read conflicting arguments about syncing to an external library. Would it be best to keep the library on the local PC and just move the media?

Also, if I were to move the media, I know my links in my library would be broken, but what if I mapped the NAS drive the same as my secondary drive. For example, the current HDD is labeled G:\, so if I mapped the NAS through Windows Explorer as G:\ and kept the rest of the file path the same, would have work?

Thanks for all your help and sorry for the long post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.