Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jun 28, 2004, 03:38 AM   #1
Balin64
macrumors 6502a

iMac Needs Lobotomy. Help Please...

Hi Patient readers...

I posted three night ago:

I attempted to install Panther (10.3) on an iMac 400 without updating firmware first...

Yes, foolish, I know: I have beating myself up ever since.

Now, the iMac will not start up. I have tried every single hint given on-line (including the wise poster in previous thread who directed me to a very informed site).

My question:

At start up, how do brand new Macs get their instruction? Is there a key combo? I have a G3 iMac 400 with FireWire (Graphite) and it shuts down after 7-10 seconds....

What can I do boys and girls?

The PRAM seems to be corrupted, because before trying to install OS X it was happily booting into OS 9.

Please help me save a good and sexy Mac from being a doorstop....

Thank You in Advance.
Balin64 is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2004, 05:55 AM   #2
thehuncamunca
macrumors 6502

have you tried resetting the PRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balin64
Hi Patient readers...

I posted three night ago:

I attempted to install Panther (10.3) on an iMac 400 without updating firmware first...

Yes, foolish, I know: I have beating myself up ever since.

Now, the iMac will not start up. I have tried every single hint given on-line (including the wise poster in previous thread who directed me to a very informed site).

My question:

At start up, how do brand new Macs get their instruction? Is there a key combo? I have a G3 iMac 400 with FireWire (Graphite) and it shuts down after 7-10 seconds....

What can I do boys and girls?

The PRAM seems to be corrupted, because before trying to install OS X it was happily booting into OS 9.

Please help me save a good and sexy Mac from being a doorstop....

Thank You in Advance.
thehuncamunca is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2004, 07:08 AM   #3
Miner Willy
macrumors regular

zapping PRAM

that would be Apple+Alt+P+R all at the same time on a restart. Let it chime 3 times before attempting to start it up.

Get well soon...
Old Jun 28, 2004, 09:30 AM   #4
Horrortaxi
macrumors 68020

Reset the PRAM, as stated, but also reset the open firmware. After you do the PRAM, hold down control-option-O-F. At the white screen with black text type reset-nvram and hit enter. Then type reset-all and hit enter. The computer will reboot.
Horrortaxi is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers