Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexandre 24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Hey guys
I was trying out ScreenFlow when I found a progress bar when exporting.

I was wondering if one of you knew where I could find it for use in my own software.
I found it in other software, but I don't know where.
Thank you for your help!

(you should see it in the attachement)

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 376

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
It's not hard to make one yourself. You only have to subclass NSProgressIndicator and override the drawRect: method. It's just a stroked rounded rect with a smaller filled one inside it.

Alexandre 24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
It's not hard to make one yourself. You only have to subclass NSProgressIndicator and override the drawRect: method. It's just a stroked rounded rect with a smaller filled one inside it.

Thanks for the quick reply.

The thing is I really am quite rubish at creating images / paths etc.
I have litterally no idea on where to start, but I wanted to know if somebody could show me an example or just a link with a tutorial on doing it.
But thanks anyway

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I'd advise you not to make them images in another program. Instead just draw it in code. You can use NSBezierPath and its bezierPathWithRoundedRect:xRadius:yRadius: method to get a rounded rect. You just need to calculate the rects.

I can whip up an example later if you get stuck.

Alexandre 24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
I'd advise you not to make them images in another program. Instead just draw it in code. You can use NSBezierPath and its bezierPathWithRoundedRect:xRadius:yRadius: method to get a rounded rect. You just need to calculate the rects.

I can whip up an example later if you get stuck.

I'm gonna give it a try it, but I would be glad if you could give me n example
Thanks

I'm gonna give it a try it, but I would be glad if you could give me n example
Thanks

I gave it a try but it seems I really have no understanding on it. Could you give me an example please?
Thank you in advance

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Here's the drawRect: method to make it work with an NSProgressIndicator sublcass. Now you have to figure out how to put it all together :)

Code:
- (void)drawRect:(NSRect)r
{	
	NSRect rect = NSInsetRect([self bounds], 1.0, 1.0);
	CGFloat radius = rect.size.height / 2;
	NSBezierPath *bz = [NSBezierPath bezierPathWithRoundedRect:rect xRadius:radius yRadius:radius];
	[bz setLineWidth:2.0];
	[[NSColor whiteColor] set];
	[bz stroke];

rect = NSInsetRect(rect, 2.0, 2.0);
	radius = rect.size.height / 2;
	bz = [NSBezierPath bezierPathWithRoundedRect:rect xRadius:radius yRadius:radius];
	[bz setLineWidth:1.0];
	[bz addClip];
	rect.size.width = floor(rect.size.width * ([self doubleValue] / [self maxValue]));
	NSRectFill(rect);
}

unknowndomain

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2010
Hey I just found your code example on Google, but I am having trouble knowing how to modify it for the indeterminate status, which might look like this:

( / / / / / / / )

... I couldn't find an image from the iPhone of this.

Any advice would be appreciated.

shieladixon

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2006
Thank you

I'd like to thank kainjow for the code above, it saved me a chunk of time today. To give something back to the forum, I'd like to post my slightly modified version. It solves a 'doclip' error which was reported in the console every time the progress bar was drawn (the fix for this might have been simple but I couldn't figure it out) and also gives a rounded end to the solid bit of the indicator, which I like.

Code:
NSRect rect = NSInsetRect([self bounds], 1.0, 1.0);
CGFloat radius = rect.size.height / 2;
NSBezierPath *bz = [NSBezierPath bezierPathWithRoundedRect:rect xRadius:radius yRadius:radius];
[bz setLineWidth:1.5];
[[NSColor whiteColor] set];
[bz stroke];

rect = NSInsetRect(rect, 2.0, 2.0);
rect.size.width = floor(rect.size.width * ([self doubleValue] / [self maxValue]));
radius = rect.size.height / 2;
bz = [NSBezierPath bezierPathWithRoundedRect:rect xRadius:radius yRadius:radius];
[bz setLineWidth:1.5];
[[NSColor colorWithDeviceWhite:0.5 alpha:transparency] set];
[bz fill];

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.