Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Aug 26, 2009, 06:13 PM   #1
macfanboy
macrumors 6502a

Disk Utility, Finder, or Terminal is reporting wrong volume size

Recently, I partitioned my disk using Terminal's diskutil. I decided i didnt need the partition anymore, so i deleted it (using Disk Utility.app) and added the free space to my mac partition. Basically, Finder and Terminal dont show the free space added back, and Disk Utility shows the space added back to the disk. I tried restarting, repairing disk (which coincidentally had an unrelated problem), repairing permissions, but the problem is still happening.

pics are attached.

first pic = terminal
second = disk utility
third = finder (get info)

EDIT: I do have a seocnd partition for Boot Camp. Look at the capacity for Macintosh HD. 99.9 in terminal, 117.9 in disk utility, 99.88 in finder
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	36
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	190514  
Attached Images

macfanboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 06:17 PM   #2
MikhailT
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfanboy View Post
Recently, I partitioned my disk using Terminal's diskutil. I decided i didnt need the partition anymore, so i deleted it (using Disk Utility.app) and added the free space to my mac partition. Basically, Finder and Terminal dont show the free space added back, and Disk Utility shows the space added back to the disk. I tried restarting, repairing disk (which coincidentally had an unrelated problem), repairing permissions, but the problem is still happening.

pics are attached.

first pic = terminal
second = disk utility
third = finder (get info)

EDIT: I do have a seocnd partition for Boot Camp. Look at the capacity for Macintosh HD. 99.9 in terminal, 117.9 in disk utility, 99.88 in finder

Marking a partition as free space does not mean it gets added on to the main partition. Free space means nothing on it, it's just free of data. You need to go back to disk utility and extend the main partition to fill up the whole drive (it may not be possible to do it there, you may have to boot into Leopard DVD or use terminal command (i believe hdiutil) to extend it. That's why the size is different in those tools, Disk Utility shows the whole drive and both Terminal and Finder shows what the partition size is.

Your Terminal screenshot shows exactly what I said, the size of the main drive (disk0) is 149GiB but the main partition (disk0s2) is only 99GiB. You did not add the free space back to the main partition.

Last edited by MikhailT; Aug 26, 2009 at 06:23 PM.
MikhailT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 06:23 PM   #3
macfanboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikhailT View Post
You need to go back to disk utility and extend the main partition to fill up the whole drive (it may not be possible to do it there, you may have to boot into Leopard DVD or use terminal command (i believe hdiutil) to extend it.
I did extend the main partition to fill up the rest of the drive.

I used fsck -fy in single user mode, and that repaired the disk for me.

read the post, i have a boot camp partition, AND disk utility shows the full space at 117 GB (as it was before i partitioned the disk originally). windows is 32 GB. 117 + 32 = the magic number (149)

so terminal and finder aren't seeing the free space as attached to Macintosh HD. Ill use terminal to add the free space and see if that helps.

EDIT: terminal diskutil fixed it. now all three show 117.9 GB

Last edited by macfanboy; Aug 26, 2009 at 06:40 PM.
macfanboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 09:46 AM   #4
thedug
macrumors newbie

Do you recall what command you ran with command line disc utility to get this to display properly?

D/
thedug is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X