Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jun 28, 2004, 02:00 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Tiger Preview

Category: Apple Software
Link: Tiger Preview
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2004, 02:35 PM   #2
Captain Canuck

Dashboard -- Fun Widgets my *&@?!

Dashboard is the dumbest and ugliest thing I have ever seen from Apple -- not to mention a complete rip-off of Konfabulator. Spotlight is a nice addtion but the finder still needs more enhancements than just that (See Cocoatech's "Path Finder" http://www.cocoatech.com/pf.php) Apple take a hint here. They better have more to offer than what they've presented so far to make Tiger worth the upgrade -- which was last rumored as going to cost more money.

cc

p.s. Konfabulator wigets actually look good er.. make that "great" in comparison.

Last edited by Captain Canuck; Jun 28, 2004 at 04:52 PM.
Captain Canuck is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2004, 05:39 PM   #3
nagromme
macrumors G4

I don't think Apple has Tiger finished as is just waiting a year to sell it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck
They better have more to offer than what they've presented so far to make Tiger worth the upgrade
I'm going to take a wild guess that Apple may make some additional enhancements between now and mid-2005
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2004, 05:45 PM   #4
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme
I'm going to take a wild guess that Apple may make some additional enhancements between now and mid-2005
I agree - Tiger is a long way from being finished, just as Panther was when it was demoed at WWDC 2003. However, it looks like Tiger will take longer to complete than Panther did. I wonder if this trend will continue - meaning that in some upcoming WWDC Apple won't have a new Mac OS X ready for us.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 06:01 PM   #5
Nermal

Quote:
Dashboard is the dumbest and ugliest thing I have ever seen from Apple -- not to mention a complete rip-off of Konfabulator.
Reminds me more of Desk Accessories than Konfabulator.
Nermal is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2004, 06:26 PM   #6
Captain Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal
Reminds me more of Desk Accessories than Konfabulator.
Either or it's still a rip-off. I guess my point may be better stated this way...

If you're going to make a new feature announcement it shouldn't be of something that's so obvious a rip-off. And, if you are going to rip-off something it should be something useful like Cocoatech's "Path Finder" (I have nothing to to with Path Finder I just think it's a great "useful" product).

I guess we'll see what more they have tucked away once we get closer to the actual release.

cc
Captain Canuck is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2004, 06:55 PM   #7
Nermal

Quote:
Either or it's still a rip-off.
Er, Apple made Desk Accessories back in the 80s. I wasn't aware it was possible to "rip-off" your own company.
Nermal is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2004, 06:59 PM   #8
TomSmithMacEd
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to TomSmithMacEd
Hey, I did the vr tour of dashboard. I thought it looked very helpful, and nice. Maybe change the color and hte look a little bit, but I know it will be something I'll use a lot.
http://www.xanga.com/erikmyxter
Looking for a powerbook.
TomSmithMacEd is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2004, 07:27 PM   #9
ALoLA
macrumors regular

What's the difference between Dashboard and running a bunch of little apps? Is this just some kind of Launcher? For that matter, what exactly does Konfabulator do? Is it also a launcher of some sort?
ALoLA is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2004, 10:48 PM   #10
svenr
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALoLA
For that matter, what exactly does Konfabulator do? Is it also a launcher of some sort?
Why don't u just go to the Konfabulator website and find out?
svenr is offline   0
Old Jun 29, 2004, 11:32 AM   #11
wdlove
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89
I agree - Tiger is a long way from being finished, just as Panther was when it was demoed at WWDC 2003. However, it looks like Tiger will take longer to complete than Panther did. I wonder if this trend will continue - meaning that in some upcoming WWDC Apple won't have a new Mac OS X ready for us.
That is very likely. Phil Schiller commented that we just can maintain the current pace. The future release of the OS will be slower.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion