Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lemonademaker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I bought my parents a 3gs (well for my mom, dad is not a tech guy) and i found a few apps that i'd like her to get....

is there kind of a "gift card" service I can just send to her iTunes account some apps when I find some that I think they would like... I know about the gift card thing... but then she has to search for the apps that I want her to get etc etc etc...

thanks

mhuntoon

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2009
If you log in under her account, you should be able to purchase the apps for her so that the next time she syncs, they would appear on her iPhone...I think.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
For some unknown and very odd reason Apple has yet to allow apps to be gifted. I don't get it at all.

mhuntoon

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2009
If you log in under her account, you should be able to purchase the apps for her so that the next time she syncs, they would appear on her iPhone...I think.

Actually, now that I think about it, the data is stored on your computer, so unless she's syncing at your place that won't really work. Sorry.

I do, however, wish that they had a "wish list" type thing where you could track apps you're interested in through iTunes (rather than a 3rd party like appshopper). There have been countless times I wanted to show my wife something where this would've been handy.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Actually, now that I think about it, the data is stored on your computer, so unless she's syncing at your place that won't really work. Sorry.

I do, however, wish that they had a "wish list" type thing where you could track apps you're interested in through iTunes (rather than a 3rd party like appshopper). There have been countless times I wanted to show my wife something where this would've been handy.

If you log into her account on your computer, and buy the app, you can then send her a link to the app and have her "buy it". It will then tell her she already owns it and allow her to download it again for free. This is how I sync my work and home computers with my phone. Often at work I buy apps, I then go home and re-buy them and they sync up. I also re-buy them on the iPhone so that they are there too.

But yes, gifting an app would be VERY nice.

Pumapayam

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2009
Gift this App

Is there some logic behind why they would exclude such a feature on iTunes?

There have been so many times I wanted a multiplayer buddy on a game and wanted to just buy them a copy so we can play together.

mrbass

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2008
Two ways to give your apps/games away for free.

Let's say BROTHER wants to gift apps/games to SISTER.

METHOD A)
- probably not the best way as it requires a complete wipe of iphone/ipod touch each and every time.
- Hook up SISTER'S idevice to BROTHER'S computer and copy all BROTHER'S apps/games to it wiping all data previously on there. :(
- Hook up this to SISTER'S computer and login under SISTER'S itunes account. - In iTunes choose File and "Transfer purchases from SISTER's idevice".
- Once all apps are on SISTER'S iTunes Account, new purchases made and even all their previous apps they can synch to that idevice without overwriting new ones.

METHOD B)
- best and easiest way to do it. :D
- bring BROTHER'S idevice and connect to SISTER'S computer under SISTER'S itune's account.
- in iTunes choose File and "Transfer purchases from BROTHER'S idevice".
- Once all apps in SISTER'S iTunes account simply sync new games/apps to SISTER'S idevice and voila.
- Do this as often as you wish.

- General note...New Home Sharing requires all on same wifi / LAN network to work. This method just requires physical presence of idevice.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
For some unknown and very odd reason Apple has yet to allow apps to be gifted. I don't get it at all.

Maybe it's because Apple knows how selfish all the iPhone users are and that they would never think about gifting someone something other than to themselves? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.