Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When's the last time you burned a CD / DVD?

• 1 week ago

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • 4 weeks ago

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • 6 months ago

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • 1 year ago

Votes: 8 14.5%

• Total voters

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
I only use my MacBook Pro optical drive to reinstall the OS. Everything is backed up on Hard drives / flash drives so I wonder are CDs / DVDs dead to us?

Do you still burn music or backups? How do you store them?

FnuGk

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2009
imo the optical disk is allmost dead.

If i where to vote i would have to take the 4 weeks one because i have been playing around with making a hackintosh though i have not ben successful yet.

then again this dvd have been the only one cd/dvd i have burned in more than a year!

CoolJoe57

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
I got a great deal on sony cd's and dvd's at best buy a few months back. I use them if a friend asks for a program or movie etc, just cause there so cheap. I have flash drives that I could use, but I don't want to give them to people and wait to get them back.

When I was taking a film class, I would burn my projects to dvd's so I could give them to friends for feedback, but the quality suffers a lot since I shot in HD. Personally I think blu ray is a must feature in our hd world, but those damn blank blu-ray prices are just too damn expensive. Although, I don't think burning blu-rays is something everyone will need. I never really burn movies for my self since I have a ps3 and a large external hard drive.

The only music I burn is for my moms car when I don't want to deal with the fm transmitter. If she had an iPod adapter or cassette player, I probably would never burn music.. ever. I think the iPod killed burning music. It didn't necessarily kill music cd's however, because when I do buy a cd (that I can't find online), I would rather spend the money on something physical, that I can rip, rather then a digital download. That's just me.

I think the world isn't completely ready to lose the optical drive, yet.

intensem1dh

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2009
Yep I back up every dvd so the kids don't trash the original. But I use windows because I just switched to an Imac and haven't figured how to do it yet.

PAC88

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2009
I use cd's to back up files and use dvd's to backup photos. I think of disc's as a way to archive important files you want to keep secure for a long time. Of course I also use HD's and flash drives but I don't see them as a secure long term storage solution.
And I still buy albums on CD instead of downloading because the quality is so much better.

darkdream

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2009
I back things up on external hardrives, dvds, flash drives. There was an instance where my external hardrive and flash drive for some reason had its data corrupted...so dvds for me came in handy.

yoppie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
A little over 8 weeks ago. I burned a DVD to install Windows 7 on my Mac mini when I thought my mom would be using it for a while. She's a Windows person.

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
I use it rarely enough that I wish they gave the option for a second 2.5" drive instead of the optical bay. I'd gladly use a USB or FW optical for the times I actually use it, and have a 256GB SSD for system and 500GB SATA HD for storage. Perhaps a 1.8" SSD of a smaller size (64GB or 128GB) then a 2.5" SATA HD would work too.

EndlessMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2009
I use CDs and DVDs all the time so I would hate for them to go away. They are still the cheapest disposable media that works for me. DVDs are great cheaper secondary backups to my external hard drives. Also when I need to give away files to co-workers or friends I prefer CDs or DVDs because they will never return USB flash drives, etc.

Many digital files are still too large to conveniently email to people and not everyone has fast internet connections. Until I can find something that can replace my needs for a cheap reliable disposable media storage item then I don't think I will ever give up the optical drive. I can't wait for Blu-Ray blank discs to come down in prices.

vertigo78

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2008
couple of weeks ago to install windows 7. actually all the dvds i have burned have been os installs. windows 7, leopard, and ubuntu.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I burn audio CDs for the car occasionally, or to give to people. At a very slow rate... I use up maybe three or four CDs a year. But the last CD I burnt was because the first song I was singing with my vocal coach, we didn't have sheet music and so I was playing off a CD track, and her studio is a little... less than technologically sophisticated. She's a good coach though. :eek:

I think I've burned maybe only one or two DVDs ever.

Matt Phoenix

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2006
The following will be very cliche for a Mac board: a friend of mine had a virus problem with his Vista computer and couldn't connect to the internet. So he needed me to download a couple antivirus programs and copy them to a CD. This was a few months ago.

Up until a year ago, I used to burn them all the time. I would make playlists on an MP3 disc and listen to them in the car. It was very rare that I would bring my iPod video, since it was too clunky to navigate while driving. Around the same time, my dad gave me his old iPod nano. At first, I didn't touch the thing since I thought that 4GB was too small to use. But then I discovered it was perfect to change songs while driving without looking down. I almost never use my CD player now.

Also, the price of external hard drives has really come down for full backups. But it was only very recently that a local computer store started carrying tons of cheap flash drives. After picking up a few of those, the use of CDs is all but gone.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
My CD burning activites are such that the internal CD burner is not robust enough for my needs. I have alot of content and software CDs from various vendors and for a while, I tried to keep it all organized as CD images on a very large drive.

However after a while this wasn't very feasible for backup reasons, so for now I just store small files that I get from programs like MacHeist instead of burning them to a CD. My non static files I.E. video and photo files can't be kept on a cd for obvious reasons so they have a dedicated drive too.

But I do video production and I copy my own dvds for personal use. Like I said earlier I need to go back to the capability to test the quality of my burns so I'll need to get an external drive that supports PIPO scans like I did in my windows days.

Once blu-ray disks get cheap enough i'm hopping on that bandwagon too. I trust optical storage kept in good condition more than magnetic storage because rotational hard drives are too finicky in my various years of computing and the potential of faliure is spelled out for me in the form of MTBF. Once flash based storage approaches 1TB, even for slower MLC drives i'll have alot more confidence in storing and archiving EVERYTHING on hard disks.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
I dont really burn CD/DVD. When I do its usually for a presentation of some sort or maybe to watch a movie that I downloaded illegally. I use the DVD drive for watching movies, ripping movies, and ripping CDs. That is about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.