Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tooshaggy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
SoCal
Is it possible there will be a hack to get snow leopard to run on a power pc?????

Yaris

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
Most likely wont happen, mainly because most of the changes were for optimizing it for intel chips.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I imagine that the hack would sorta null the overall snapiness of Snow Leopard. I also wonder why one would want this. There are few PowerPc apps that run faster then their Intel counterparts, Adobe comes to mind - but, Snow Leopard and Adobe playing nice seems in question.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Having never used Remote Desktop, I suppose I don't have much to say. But Apple has advanced it's screen sharing/desktop control software and if it doesn't run on Intel machines now, it seems that the capabilities of the software would seem rather limited.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Okay, well, when you go ahead and write seven gigabytes of PowerPC code, you let us know.

Until then, this is more than impossible.

Just buy a computer made in the last three years or ignore Snow Leopard; simple as that.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
No.

The only PPC that could use anything in SL is the G5, but again, the gains would be lost in the translation.

Stick with Leopard.

zerostar

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
South Florida
I imagine that the hack would sorta null the overall snapiness of Snow Leopard. I also wonder why one would want this. There are few PowerPc apps that run faster then their Intel counterparts, Adobe comes to mind - but, Snow Leopard and Adobe playing nice seems in question.

Hmm I don't concur with Adobe apps being faster, I run Adobe CS for work and had a top of the line Dual 2.5GHz G5 that got replaced with a low end Mac Pro, the Mac Pro easily outperforms everything in the CS suite 4 or 5 times faster than the G5 did...

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Untrue. However, it won't run, so it doesn't matter that much.

How's it untrue?

While yes, it could run in 32-bit mode on a PPC (if ported) the primary features are 64-bit and Grand Central, which could only apply to a G5.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
How's it untrue?

While yes, it could run in 32-bit mode on a PPC (if ported) the primary features are 64-bit and Grand Central, which could only apply to a G5.

Grand Central is written to optimise the way code is allocated across multiple Intel processors. How could this possibly benefit G5s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.