Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hot Malcolm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Toronto
I had some trepidation about attempting to install Leopard (10.5.6) on my Panther-running, 17" 800MHz 'half a soccer ball' iMac. The main reason for the trepidation was the classification of my machine at "Uncertain" at the Leopard Assist website.

I needn't have worried. I used Dylan McDermond's 'faking out the installer' instructions and it was a piece of cake! First, I rebooted, holding down Cmd-Opt-O-F to get into the Open Firmware. Then I typed the 3 commands into the OF command line. I told it to be 900MHz. I let it reboot and checked About This Mac... and found that, indeed, it did believe itself to be 900MHz.

Popped in the Leopard installer disc and ran the installer, which then immediately reboots. I gave it the 4-finger salute and entered the 3 commands again. It then S-L-O-W-L-Y booted and began the installation process. Selected a destination, clicked Options, chose Archive & Install and Preserve Users.

After about 2 hours, it was ready to roll (and reboot). It couldn't identify my keyboard, which is a wireless Logitech, but the keyboard and mouse both worked fine, so no worries there. Mind you, my Logitech Control Center thinks there are no items attached, but it was time to update that item anyway. My DynDNS Updater startup item needed a security fix. No problem (although it doesn't seem to be working for some reason, even before Leopard). It recognized my wireless networks and all.

Then I ran Software Update. It found 6 items amounting to about a GB, including a combined OS update to increment to 10.5.8. DL'd and installed all of them.

At first it didn't seem to know my printer. Then, when I was searching for a driver, it appeared to remember it; so I just carried on without adding the Leopard driver. Another anomaly: All my Applications are now <name>.app

The strangest thing is that when I run iPhoto, I get "You cannot use this version of the application iPhoto.app with this version of Mac OS X." I sort of expected to get a new version along with Leopard. Anybody know what's up with this?

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
. Another anomaly: All my Applications are now <name>.app
Finder Preferences -> Advanced -> uncheck "Show all files extensions"

. The strangest thing is that when I run iPhoto, I get "You cannot use this version of the application iPhoto.app with this version of Mac OS X." I sort of expected to get a new version along with Leopard. Anybody know what's up with this?
Nope - iPhoto is part of the iLife suite, not the OS. You would need to upgrade this separately.

Hot Malcolm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Toronto
There's only one reason to inhibit the program

iPhoto is part of the iLife suite, not the OS. You would need to upgrade this separately.

Well, I do think about acquiring iLife. (If I'd known that Leopard was gonna work on my iMac, I'd've bought the Box Set. GRR!)

But it's distinctly unreasonable to stop the program from working. I mean, it's not as though there was technology in Panther that isn't available in Leopard. There's only one reason to block the program.

I still have my photos; just no way to use them. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.