Snow Leopard & HP Laserjet 1020 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Aug 28, 2009, 10:54 PM   #1
dibara2003
macrumors 6502

Snow Leopard & HP Laserjet 1020

I've been hearing preliminary reports that all the workarounds for the 1020 do not work?

Before I install SL, I was wondering if anyone actually got their 1020 to work.
dibara2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 02:31 AM   #2
insecto
macrumors newbie

Follow the instructions here exactly. I can confirm that this works (so far) for my 1020 on Snow Leopard.

No idea if it's going to be possible to get the old driver to work but the 10.6 Printers folder looks quite a bit different. I wouldn't count on it.
insecto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 03:30 AM   #3
insecto
macrumors newbie

Hmm there is one small but annoying problem.

The 1020 needs to have its firmware uploaded after it is powered up otherwise it won't print. I was able to make an Automator app that executed this script but it's still a pain. Plus, for some reason after I upload the firmware I then have to unplug and replug the USB connection before it will print. Afterward, it's all good.

I'm clueless around the command line so hopefully someone will come up with a better way to do this, especially now that it seems that the old driver is a no go.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 03:40 AM   #4
dibara2003
macrumors 6502

I guess I'll hold off on installing SL for a few days. idk how comfortable I feel about doing what you did to get it to work.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 04:55 AM   #5
insecto
macrumors newbie

It looks more challenging than it is. For the steps that required the command line, all I did was copy and paste from that page and it went down without a hitch. It will take awhile, though - XCode is a pretty big download on its own and some of the command line installs take a fair amount of time, too.

Hopefully someone will cook up a friendlier way of doing it soon.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 04:47 PM   #6
mikeymike88
macrumors member

I'm in the exact same situation... I really wish there was an easier workaround before I have to get another printer
mikeymike88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 05:20 PM   #7
sifreed
macrumors newbie

This worked for me. Took a long time though. I also had to unplug and plug back in my USB cable at the end of the process.
sifreed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 10:02 PM   #8
dibara2003
macrumors 6502

Someone mind posting exactly how they made their printer work? I'll give it a try later tonight.

Also, for those who have a broken/junk printer, you can trade it in at OD and get a HP Officejet Pro 8000 for $25. I might go that route if I can't get my 1020 to work.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 04:21 PM   #9
dibara2003
macrumors 6502

Bringing it up to the top for some help.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 04:29 PM   #10
thegoldenmackid
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thegoldenmackid Send a message via Skype™ to thegoldenmackid
My understanding and recollection was this printer was never made to work on the Mac to begin with? Those instructions were better then the hack that I remember having to do to get it to work with Leopard.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 05:41 PM   #11
dibara2003
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoldenmackid View Post
My understanding and recollection was this printer was never made to work on the Mac to begin with? Those instructions were better then the hack that I remember having to do to get it to work with Leopard.
Yeah, this printer was never really mac compatible. Getting it to work with leopard was easy though. All you had to do was install the 1022 drivers.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 08:02 PM   #12
elconcho
macrumors newbie

This is painful. It didn't even occur to me (I had forgotten about getting the 1020 working with leopard way back) that snow leopard would pooch the 1020 hack. I'll hold on for a few days before going primitive with that linux driver hack.

Any idea whether I could get the printer to work from my windows machine via bonjour or something? Or would I still need the same driver on the mac.

Sigh.
elconcho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 09:31 PM   #13
cferron
macrumors newbie

Not working

Same here SL 10.6.... not working

Using CUPS with
HP LaserJet 1022 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.4 (grayscale, 2-sided printing)
Did not work for me either

Has anyone tried this yet?

http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/INSTALL.osx

Look for:
MAC OSX INSTALLATION NOTES - HP LaserJet 1018/1020
Using "fink" project
cferron is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 10:20 PM   #14
dibara2003
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cferron View Post

Look for:
Using "fink" project
Someone above posted something that worked for them. I personally didn't try it yet because I definitely need to be able to print for school. I'll try it over the labor day weekend.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:14 PM   #15
bhurdscu
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cferron View Post
Same here SL 10.6.... not working

Look for:
Using "fink" project
I'm hoping someone can help me out here with some more detailed instructions than what's available on the site linked above. I have never tinkered with XCode or anything of the sort, so I don't know what it means when step 3 says "Do:" and then the following commands. Where do I copy and paste those? Do I need to install ghostscript? Also, for Step 4 where am I entering that code? Thanks in advance for the help.
bhurdscu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 01:11 PM   #16
insecto
macrumors newbie

try this

Hey, everyone.

I made some instructions that are as simple as I can possibly imagine. It is exactly what I did and I am able to print to my 1020. No guarantees that this will work for you and if you know absolutely nothing about the command line it may be better to steer clear. That being said, it's so cookie-cutter that you should be able to do it regardless.

Standard disclaimer: this may not work for you and could potentially screw up your Snow Leopard install (although that's probably pretty unlikely).

Download the two files here: http://idisk.mac.com/geoffchapman-Public?view=web. One is a text file with the instructions and the other is a .zip file - expand it and you will find the Automator app I describe in the text file. FYI this app does not do the install for you (although I wish it did) - it's only to help with a small bit once you've got everything done.

Please post back with your system config and whether or not it worked. I am going to be around today - I'll try to get back to any quick questions. But I am going to be out of the country for two weeks starting tomorrow so at that point you're on your own.

Good luck!
Old Sep 2, 2009, 09:49 AM   #17
widdicombe
macrumors newbie

Just need a driver update

Thanks to those of you that posted all these work arounds, but the point of a Mac is that you don't have to do this type of stuff to make it work. If we wanted to go through this type of hassle we would be running Linux.

10.5 worked with the HP 1020 by just installing the 1022 driver, as posted earlier. My assumption, (always dangerous) is that we just need an updated driver that will work with SL. Has anyone had any luck with or heard about new SL drivers coming out of HP. Maybe if they update the 1022 driver for SL we can then use that update again.

Pretty important since this is the laser printer that is networked to by everyone in my house. If I don't have an update in the next week, I'll have a rebellion on my hands and will end up having to buy a new laser for the house. Makes the $49 dollar family upgrade look as expensive as the windows 7 upgrade.

Thanks all.
widdicombe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:03 AM   #18
durija
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by widdicombe View Post
Thanks to those of you that posted all these work arounds, but the point of a Mac is that you don't have to do this type of stuff to make it work. If we wanted to go through this type of hassle we would be running Linux.

10.5 worked with the HP 1020 by just installing the 1022 driver, as posted earlier. My assumption, (always dangerous) is that we just need an updated driver that will work with SL. Has anyone had any luck with or heard about new SL drivers coming out of HP. Maybe if they update the 1022 driver for SL we can then use that update again.

Pretty important since this is the laser printer that is networked to by everyone in my house. If I don't have an update in the next week, I'll have a rebellion on my hands and will end up having to buy a new laser for the house. Makes the $49 dollar family upgrade look as expensive as the windows 7 upgrade.

Thanks all.
Of course it's a driver problem. Isn't the problem that HP decided not to bother providing updated drivers for these models as OS X has evolved? So these models will always require a hack.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:21 AM   #19
bhurdscu
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by insecto View Post
Hey, everyone.

I made some instructions that are as simple as I can possibly imagine. It is exactly what I did and I am able to print to my 1020. No guarantees that this will work for you and if you know absolutely nothing about the command line it may be better to steer clear. That being said, it's so cookie-cutter that you should be able to do it regardless.

Standard disclaimer: this may not work for you and could potentially screw up your Snow Leopard install (although that's probably pretty unlikely).

Download the two files here: http://idisk.mac.com/geoffchapman-Public?view=web. One is a text file with the instructions and the other is a .zip file - expand it and you will find the Automator app I describe in the text file. FYI this app does not do the install for you (although I wish it did) - it's only to help with a small bit once you've got everything done.

Please post back with your system config and whether or not it worked. I am going to be around today - I'll try to get back to any quick questions. But I am going to be out of the country for two weeks starting tomorrow so at that point you're on your own.

Good luck!
Insecto,

This worked absolutely perfect for me. I really appreciate the time you put into making this 1020 guide for dummies, it was just what I needed. Let's hope that HP updates the 1022 drivers for SL in the future (and that it works), but this worked just fine for me. What a life saver! Thank you!
bhurdscu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:56 AM   #20
TerryofMPS
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Hey, everyone.

Good luck!
It's always seemed silly to me to pay for some Apple hosting service, especially if a Blackberry account manages one's email nicely, so any chance you could upload your fixes to a site where everyone has access. iDisk lets you see there are files in your account but not download them without a paid account.

Thanks,

TerryofMPS
TerryofMPS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:56 AM   #21
Behavan
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Hey, everyone.

Good luck!
Good work, mate!! This worked perfect for me too. You just saved me about $150.
Behavan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 06:28 PM   #22
insecto
macrumors newbie

Couple of quick notes - glad some more people are getting their 1020s up and running. Second - to those complaining about the driver, I agree that this sucks but remember the 1020 was never sold as Mac-compatible. It was only a fluke that the 1022 drivers worked and HP even updated the driver to longer work with the 1020. Fortunately the old driver was not that hard to get. My only question is whether there is any reason other than some BS market segmentation for why the 1020 wasn't Mac-compatible from the start. I never had a problem with the 1022 driver.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 07:06 PM   #23
dibara2003
macrumors 6502

Yeah, it's not Apple to blame on the incompatibility on this. The 1020 was never a Mac OS compatible printer.

Anyhow, glad that others have had it work. I'll give it a go tomorrow, after my classes.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:04 AM   #24
Space Turtle
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Hopefully someone will cook up a friendlier way of doing it soon.
Spent most of yesterday following the process until step 4, when I found http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Op...g/MacOSX/hpijs...
Space Turtle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2009, 06:00 PM   #25
marvelous
macrumors newbie

Did using the OpenPrinting/MacOSX/hpijs website work for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Turtle View Post
Spent most of yesterday following the process until step 4, when I found http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Op...g/MacOSX/hpijs...

Hi Space Turtle,

Thank you for your post. Did using the instructions/downloads on the page:

OpenPrinting/MacOSX/hpijs
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Op...g/MacOSX/hpijs

work for you? That is, are you now able to print to an HP LaserJet 1020 printer with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard?

Thank you in advance for your reply.
marvelous is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X